What is your 'reference system'?

MeloManiac

PWK once said that all recorded music is  a 'caricature' of live music.

I've been reading a lot of reviews lately, esp. of DACs. It struck me how often reviewers would mention their 'reference system', sometimes a high-end system they've had for 15 years or longer, sometimes a 200K topnotch up to date system they like to boast with. Then they would compare the system under review with it.

My personal reference system is my wife playing her 113 year old cello. Last night there was a bit of a panic in the house because due to the dry cold air, the strings had loosened completely. Panic! So my wife went to the procedure of putting them on again, and then extensive tuning, and then playing through some music. All this was done in our anechoic chamber (our home office).

The way this instrument is filling the room with music is unequaled by any speaker system I have when it comes to detail, dynamic range, resolution, low frequencies etc. I admit, none of my gear is high end so the cello here is the easy winner. Still I wonder why so few reviewers have 'live music' as their reference system.

So, what is your 'reference system', whether it is gear, an instrument, or even the human voice!

IMG-20200329-WA0007.jpg

• Like 1