FYI A55G driver

Dave A

You who are thinking of getting some better act quickly. Looking at some stuff at Bob's site today and he mentioned that when they run out of these it may be MAY 2021 before they have more. They are concerned about Italian drivers also so be aware if you want to do some thing do it soon or be prepared to wait.

As much as I like B&C  this is causing me to look at Eminence more closely in the next few months.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Looking at some stuff at Bob's site today and he mentioned that when they run out of these it may be MAY 2021 before they have more.

Damn man need to order another pair been putting it off guess there's no time like the present thanks!

Just checked his website and it says out of stock already??

"A-55G Midrange Driver.  Replacement for the K-55X, K-55V, K-55M, K-51V and others.  

Pair of A-55G Drivers $350.00 plus $15.00 for shipping.  (Out of stock. New stock expected perhaps March 2021.  Blame this crazy virus.")

Yeah John Allen saved a few bucks getting these done overseas. I wonder what he thinks of that choice now? I have thought about these drivers and kind of figured I would get Atlas and that the difference is not enough to get excited about.

6 hours ago, Panelhead said:

Claude can share what he found on the driver comparison. I need to reread  a long post about them. Never could figure out if the Atlas was an issue. K55G seemed to measure about the same.

A question I ask myself at times namely what really matters. The fabled K-55 soldered lug drivers measure better in the mid range I believe but I have never noticed a dramatic improvement over a good condition K-55-V.  I have a handful of K-55-V and M's here that don't sound all that good and I wonder what new diaphragms would do and how many of these old drivers we all have been using are not right but still OK. New diaphragms are just a tad over half the price of a whole new driver and that rules them out for me. The new Atlas drivers are priced at $300 a pair just like those 1981 Soldered Lugs are but no wear and tear. When my last soldered lugs are gone I will probably go with new Atlas drivers if I am doing rebuilds. I have people over here that can hear details I can't any more but they have never noticed any wonderful things worth remarking on with soldered lugs.

9 minutes ago, BEC said:

"As much as I like B&C  this is causing me to look at Eminence more closely in the next few months."

Eminence suspended all operations last week.

Oh wow I had no idea they had.  Never contacted them yet and was thinking of doing so.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, Panelhead said:

Claude can share what he found on the driver comparison. I need to reread  a long post about them. Never could figure out if the Atlas was an issue. K55G seemed to measure about the same.

I believe Bob has honest curves about them, but I'm not sold on them having "a dime's worth of difference" vs. older k55's, which are very good. Even PWK felt the drivers with the solder lugs (dual phase plug) only had a "prettier curve" but felt that hearing a difference would be tough.........IF they were not abused, like from a Heresy 1 (padded way down by an autoformer) and not from a commercial LaScala that was abused with big amplifiers.

1 hour ago, BEC said:

"As much as I like B&C  this is causing me to look at Eminence more closely in the next few months."

Eminence suspended all operations last week.

No kidding wow. Well I'm sure Parts Express has a pretty healthy stock of the wrong ones for Klipsch applications. LOL.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:15 PM, Dave A said:

Yeah John Allen saved a few bucks getting these done overseas. I wonder what he thinks of that choice now? I have thought about these drivers and kind of figured I would get Atlas and that the difference is not enough to get excited about.

I agree, but I"m sure even Atlas has had to shut down manufacture.

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree, but I"m sure even Atlas has had to shut down manufacture.

Yeah the cascade of closings has gone everywhere now it seems. Sitting out here on the farm life goes on pretty much as normal so I don't keep fully up to date on all this nonsense.

• Like 1

Well, it's not exactly nonsense.  Wikipedia what went on 100 years ago with the "Spanish flu".

I don't think there were even trans-Atlantic flights then.  Folks traversing the world on a whim has got this bug some wide-spread traction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:41 AM, glens said:

Well, it's not exactly nonsense.  Wikipedia what went on 100 years ago with the "Spanish flu".

I don't think there were even trans-Atlantic flights then.  Folks traversing the world on a whim has got this bug some wide-spread traction.

I bet all those nice Italian drivers were the first to run out.

• 5 months later...