First Gen Klipsch 510 horns for FREE

Dave A

I have at least five of these that are not broken or chipped. I am not going to use these as they are too fragile but if someone is interested they can have them for $15 each   FREE and PICK UP ONLY!!. I am NOT going to even try to send these because the amount of packing to get them safely to the other end is not worth it to me. These are crude, I mean really crude compared to the later models. This is a limited time offer and soon I might just give them to the speaker place where all parts go to die if they are still here.

If you are interested be forewarned that slight overtightening of a screw will cause pieces to spall out or the mounting flange to break.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

What’s your location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to far away for you to drive, Tennessee.

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

Dave I'll take a pair of "sparrows" if you can hold on to them until SWAG in September?

I will put a set of these beauties up there next to Kirbys speakers. Don't say you were not warned.

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Dave, this is a most generous offer and I hope someone can give them a loving home.

BTW, In my limited experience with these early versions, I did not find them to be fragile. 

Good luck,

-Tom

I don't know what happened to this batch but the workmanship is really bad and the material is too. I bet Klipsch changed these pretty darned quick as I imagine their commercial customers were not amused. I have a set of 510 clones from EBay and the guys with current non-mumps 510 horn say they look exactly alike. The difference between the first gen and third gen is huge. I guess from what I gather the mumps type is gen 4. It was kind of funny to notice when I was taking these horns off the mounting board how loose many of the screws were and I think it was to stop cracks and not because they worked loose over time. Same thing with the KPT-100 and 200 tweeters. Lots of those screws run in just enough to contact the lens flange but not snug it down. Same brittle junk and I had some with cracks running from the corners down into the lens along the inside corner and you would not see them until you tightened the screws down like you thought they should be and then you found out why they had been backed off. Bet the Klipsch factory guys hated these.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Dave,

Can you put a pair away for me to pick up at SWAG in September please?

Thank you,

Mark

I will have to go see how many are out there and let you knowe.

Look guys this is no big favor you are getting here but I am glad to shovel my junk off to you. If I thought there was any value here I would not junk them. They are bad enough that I am buying new EBay horns for these 904 sets I am fixing up and that should tell you something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I will have to go see how many are out there and let you knowe.

Look guys this is no big favor you are getting here but I am glad to shovel my junk off to you. If I thought there was any value here I would not junk them. They are bad enough that I am buying new EBay horns for these 904 sets I am fixing up and that should tell you something.

Ok you talked me out of it lol nevermind I'll pass.

33 minutes ago, rockhound said:

No worries Dave I plan to hide them behind grills. As  long as they sound the part.

I don't see how these could sound like the newer 510's or the EBay clones. There is a lot of difference.

I might just bring one to SWAG anyway. If you have never seen these you just have no idea how bad it can get. Then I can do a drop test. Had a guy over to listen to the 904's I am working on and told him about these. I went to grab yet another one that I discovered had a cracked mounting flange and said here watch this. "NO" he says "Don't do it"! It was evident by the way I was handling it that I meant to drop it on the floor. Well I did and his eyes bugged out as this thing from 4' up just goes to pieces.  Talking to a past Klipsch dealer and he says they caught all kinds of grief over these.

Just now, Randyh said:

if these are lemons , then the factory should take them back  -------and send you new ones in exchange ,  you are aware that lemon laws  exist and as long as you can prove that these are klipsch product - the protection applies ---

No you don't buy old 30 year old Klipsch speakers and complain to Klipsch about a problem like this you just suck it up and move on and know more things to look for in the future.  I mainly brought this whole topic up to warn people there is a 510 out there you DO NOT want.

I bet they did replace a ton of them back then while there was a warranty on them.

• Like 1

I don't know what happened to this batch but the workmanship is really bad and the material is too. I bet Klipsch changed these pretty darned quick as I imagine their commercial customers were not amused. I have a set of 510 clones from EBay and the guys with current non-mumps 510 horn say they look exactly alike. The difference between the first gen and third gen is huge. I guess from what I gather the mumps type is gen 4. It was kind of funny to notice when I was taking these horns off the mounting board how loose many of the screws were and I think it was to stop cracks and not because they worked loose over time. Same thing with the KPT-100 and 200 tweeters. Lots of those screws run in just enough to contact the lens flange but not snug it down. Same brittle junk and I had some with cracks running from the corners down into the lens along the inside corner and you would not see them until you tightened the screws down like you thought they should be and then you found out why they had been backed off. Bet the Klipsch factory guys hated these.

My brother has a vacation house east of Bristol Tennessee, Drop them off just inside the barn doors. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk