Which is it?

usnret70-90

I am somewhat old school when it comes to audio. I recently made an online purchase from Emotiva because my garage was in need of a sound system. So I bought what I would call a "stereo receiver' and cd player. Only thing is, they do not call it a receiver, it's called a stereo preamp/dac/tuner/with an integrated amplifier. Sounds like it's a stereo receiver to me. Does anybody have an opinion why Emotiva would offer this product up the way they do? Embarrassed to call it what it really is? By the way, I purchased the CD-100 and the TA-100. Not sure of what to call it, but in the garage, those two pieces sound really good with a pair of Klipsch RP-160M's. Neighbors might not think so. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, usnret70-90 said:

Only thing is, they do not call it a receiver, it's called a stereo preamp/dac/tuner/with an integrated amplifier. Sounds like it's a stereo receiver to me.

It's a stereo receiver with a fancy name.  

Bill

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

To me, an integrated amp with a tuner is a receiver.  The addition of everything else makes their description make more sense.

^^This.

And why an AVR is Audio Video Receiver, receiver (amp/pre/tuner) with video switching. An amp is an amp, a preamp the traffic cop that takes ins and switches them to the amp. Put an amp and a preamp together that is an integrated amp. Throw a tuner onto that and it is a Receiver. No need for the word "stereo" to preface receiver.

Sounds like it's a stereo receiver to me

Agree, the only new-ish thing added is a DAC. It still has the amp/pre/tuner stuff. DAC IMO is similar to phono input or tape loop in a receiver (some receivers have them some don't). It is still a receiver just has more stuff for the preamp portion to switch.

• Like 2

Most modern receivers have more than two channels, and are called Audio Visual Receivers, or AVRs.  While there are lots of those, stereo (2-channel) receivers are pretty rare.  On the other hand, there are quite a few stereo integrated amplifiers.

BTW, most modern AVRs have DACs in them, to decode any digitally encoded music sources, like CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and even the 5-channel surround sound on HD TV broadcasts.  DACs are also needed to decode Net Radio broadcasts, which are usually MP3 coded, but can be AAC coded.  The AV receiver will have decoders for all those sources.  The DAC is important enough that it’s usually mentioned in the AVR’s features list.

Maybe the makers of the receiver in question thought the word receiver is perceived as “no better than mid-fi”, and they want their product to be seen as hi-fi, justifying its higher price.  I know, this is just a longer version of what’s already been posted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rplace said:

No need for the word "stereo" to preface receiver.

I think that's ok to include. To me that means not a home theater receiver.

I purchased the CD-100 and the TA-100.....sound really good with a pair of Klipsch RP-160M's.

The TA-100 is small with a lot of nice features, great piece. Very nice combination of gear. Enjoy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, willland said:

That page shows a total of nine receivers, and only five of them are in stock.  Meanwhile, their selection of home theatre receivers adds up to 60.  Maybe I should have said that 2-channel/stereo receivers are a definite minority relative to AVRs.

• Like 1

Part of the problem might be that the separates crowd ran down receivers so persistently that the receiver manufacturers had to call them something else.

It is intresting that there are few receivers in stock and you attach an inference that they are not popular. 

Heck, TP is not in stock.

WMcD

• Like 2

During my first eight years serving in the far east('70-'78), and later on cruises from CA, I was able to acquire all those so called Monster Receivers. The Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1980 the Kenwood's, the Sansui's and Marantz. I was one of those guys who always thought that I had to keep buying all those pieces for reasons which I'll never be able to understand. I had so much stuff in the various homes I lived in, that made it impossible to use like I wanted to. So, I discovered separates and they have been my passion ever since. I sold everything to an audio store, turned around and purchased a whole house system which included stereo in every room and a home theater system. I loved stereo. Surround sound is great, but two channel is my passion. If only I had my mint Akai GX-747 back. I'm going to track that down and I better hurry because I'm not getting any younger. Just two weeks ago I prepaid for my wife and I to be cremated, the service etc. I did not want to be a burden to my two sons upon my death. So, I now have two urns in a closet where I keep the six hundred cables, fm antenna's and huge collection of power cords which I have never used. Enough.

35 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Part of the problem might be that the separates crowd ran down receivers so persistently that the receiver manufacturers had to call them something else.

It is inesting that there are few receivers in stock and you attach an inference that they are not popular. 

Heck, TP is not in stock.

WMcD

So what do you think is the reason for the separates type to bash receivers? I will be the first to say that several of the receivers which I've owned over the years were more than a match for a lot of separates out there. The specs proved that and so did listening side by side. I was a huge fan of Julian Hirsch and he drove those bad boys during testing.

9 hours ago, Islander said:

That page shows a total of nine receivers, and only five of them are in stock.

I was just messing around.  When I read your post, I had coincidentally just opened that page on A4Less.  

True, compared to yesteryear stereo receivers are not the norm anymore.

Bill

I've got a 9-channel receiver, but it's driving only 4 channels:  Centre Front, Centre Rear, and Surround x 2.  The Left and Right main speakers are powered by external amps, so only the pre-amp feeds them, and that's with signal alone, not power.  However, if I ever get around to installing Presence and/or Atmos speakers, the AV receiver is ready..  Meanwhile, it's operating with a light load and providing clean, low-distortion power to the 4 channels in use.  Not quite as clean as the two dual-mono amps, of course.

It's better to have channels you're not using than to need channels you don't have.

In the latest issue of Sound & Vision, there is an article on new retro looking stereo receivers. A good article but, they failed to mention the newest Outlaw Audio RR-2160. They did a review of the first model some time back and gave it rave reviews. Besides, it even looks "retro". I've never owned anything made by Outlaw but, I would consider their receiver for what it offers and for that 'polished retro look' from the 60's and 70's. It would be something to have for in the garage, office or bedroom.