Avr Watts? Company rating differ from best buy. Which watt rating do I trust

Because it is allowed and they want to hit different target audiences.  The knowing and unknowing look at the numbers differently so you have to present what your audience will key on.  It is like saying your subwoofer takes 1000watts.  Everyone wants to say how big, bad, and loud their subwoofer is.  If the subwoofer only goes to 35hz and is rated at 82db efficiency, you'd be better with a higher efficiency sub with a lower wattage level in many instances though it doesn't sound as good as a burly 1000 watter.

For AVRs, how many channels are driven at the same time to come up with that power output usually defines how good the power supply behind the system is (depending on if Class D or not).  Is it 6ohm or 8ohm rating at 1khz vs full spectrum 20hz-20khz at 8ohm.  Are the amps 4 ohm stable.

My advice is wade through as much information as you can find then choose as best you can.  Outside of specs being grossly over rated (distortion, noise, power), the quality of the sound and amount of current (usually not listed but is significant with 4ohm compatibility) is the biggest thing.  Specs are specs thus in many instances are misleading.  

IMHO

Back in the late '70s, as a highschooler, I had my eye on a Technics integrated amp rated at 60 Watts per channel.  It was at the local hifi shop.  One day the salesman opened my eyes and ears to "specs."  He rigged everything up to switch between only that amp and an HK model rated at 40.  (I'm pretty sure it was something like the 430 receiver without a tuner.)   The HK could readily play louder and cleaner.  By a more-than-fair margin.  I got my dad to kick in the extra bucks and got me the HK...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, glens said:

Back in the late '70s, as a highschooler, I had my eye on a Technics integrated amp rated at 60 Watts per channel.  It was at the local hifi shop.  One day the salesman opened my eyes and ears to "specs."  He rigged everything up to switch between only that amp and an HK model rated at 40.  (I'm pretty sure it was something like the 430 receiver without a tuner.)   The HK could readily play louder and cleaner.  By a more-than-fair margin.  I got my dad to kick in the extra bucks and got me the HK...

Yes had similar things happen, such as old Superscope with twice the power vs a H/K 20 watter.  HK was so much better back when they were understanding square wave response.

Additionally bought a Yamaha CA-800 back in '76 which was only rated 45 watts but what an amount of drive for 45 watts.  Pretty much matched it's weight.

So the moral of the story is watts don't always equal watts.