Why don't my Fortes match?

Mr.D

Hi, this is my first post here. Long time lurker who's gained a lot of knowledge from the site and wanted to finally post! 
I fairly recently picked up a pair of Forte 1s. They look like they've been treated fairly well over the years.. they may have been used as drink stands by the looks of some water stains, but overall not bad. But I do have a couple of questions. First, I didn't notice until I got home with them, but the input cups are different - one is round and one is rectangular. Is it possible they came this way, or have I picked up a pair that didn't originally come together? Unfortunately the back cards are missing, but inside they each have a card that indicates that they were assembled within days of each other. (Looks like the cabinet and trim departments were taking the day off for one of them!) What do you guys think happened here?IMG_5194.thumb.jpg.02fc2f0e10b3111c9a04c8d11dd62b1d.jpgIMG_5208.thumb.jpg.cc5f0d2b387f089cc073b10299242faa.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, for some reason i'm not able to upload more photos 🤔 Anyway, I think the other terminal is the standard rectangular one. Thanks for the welcome! Where can I find serial numbers if I don't have the cards that were once attached at the back?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.D said:

Ok, for some reason i'm not able to upload more photos 🤔 Anyway, I think the other terminal is the standard rectangular one. Thanks for the welcome! Where can I find serial numbers if I don't have the cards that were once attached at the back?

Rectangle cups are usually 8 Ohm speakers where as round cups are 4 Ohm speakers. This is NOT a matched set of Forte'

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Rectangle cups are usually 8 Ohm speakers where as round cups are 4 Ohm speakers. This is NOT a matched set of Forte'

What he ^^ said. 

1 minute ago, Mr.D said:

No, don't think so. 😕 Previous owner must have taken everything off. Just found those cards stapled to the inside. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Makes me wonder how this set came together then. And the fact that they were obviously assembled within days of each other is also interesting.
I know the round cup ones say 4 ohms, but I can't find any literature about Fortes ever being 4 ohms. Does anyone have any further info on this? Am I going to f up my receiver by using two speakers with potentially different impedances?

• Mr.D changed the title to Why don't my Fortes match?
3 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Well, the round terminal cup has a 1985 copyright, and the rectangular cup has a 1986 copyright.

It's a clue.

Yeah I saw that as well. But the cards inside...
Is it possible somebody used one cup from the 1985 pile and somebody else used one from the 1986 pile when assembling them? 😄

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Those look nice. walnut veneer.

How do they sound?

They sound great! I installed new Crites crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms already. Speaking of the walnut veneer, do they seem to be the lacquered finish? If it's lacquer it's pretty thin, but to me they look "shinier" than a simple oiled finish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.D said:

Yeah I saw that as well. But the cards inside...
Is it possible somebody used one cup from the 1985 pile and somebody else used one from the 1986 pile when assembling them? 😄

Doubt that as the hole would have already been cut. I am sure that some one can come by with a way to measure. BTW, I had a pair of H2 signatures that had the same issue

• Like 1