Why don't my Fortes match?

Mr.D

I had a pair of forte 1s that different input cups too.  They sounded different from each other, not in a bad way but different. There are construction differences. I think one has full length firring strips along the corners inside the cabs. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr.D said:

Makes me wonder how this set came together then. And the fact that they were obviously assembled within days of each other is also interesting.
I know the round cup ones say 4 ohms, but I can't find any literature about Fortes ever being 4 ohms. Does anyone have any further info on this? Am I going to f up my receiver by using two speakers with potentially different impedances?

Nothing to worry about the impedance is the same for both speakers. The drivers and crossovers are electrically the same.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr.D said:

They sound great! I installed new Crites crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms already. Speaking of the walnut veneer, do they seem to be the lacquered finish? If it's lacquer it's pretty thin, but to me they look "shinier" than a simple oiled finish. 

Couldn't tell much about the finish.

Those look like maybe some oils on but, hard to say. Usually nice bass.

sIf you go up to your original post, look for edit, then you can edit the title.  But only the original author can do this.

Using the Klipsch system here you can only put one photo in a post.

I encourage everyone to reduce the file size of photos by using MS Paint.  Reduce so the photo fills that screen.  Usually this can be by a factor of 4 depending on setting on your cell phone or camera.

WMcD

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WMcD said:

sIf you go up to your original post, look for edit, then you can edit the title.  But on the original author can do this.

Using the Klipsch system here you can only put one photo in a post.

I encourage everyone to reduce the file size of photos by using MS Paint.  Reduce so the photo fills that screen.  Usually this can be by a factor of 4 depending on setting on your cell phone or camera.

WMcD

Thanks for the advice! 

4 hours ago, Mr.D said:

Thanks for the advice! 

Generally speaking, a photo only needs to be around 500 kB to display just fine on most screens.  Bigger files than that just needlessly use up bandwidth, sometimes clogging things up.

And welcome to the Forum!

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

Like the misprinted penny or the upside down plane on the stamp, those Forte's might be worth something!

It depends in what you are into. 

I believe my mismatched pair was haunted. When listening to various music at low levels,  I would hear phones ringing but when I answered there would be no one on the line. And I would hear someone knocking on my door but no one there. I lived at 4 different places and had the same experience.  Shortly after the service my fortes  stayed with my sister and her husband for a while. They made similar comments on how they would answer the door and phone only to find no one there. Then years later my wife asked me if those fortes  were like really good speakers. I laughed and said "of course they're good speakers why?" She said she keeps answering the door but there ain't nobody there!

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

It depends in what you are into. 

I believe my mismatched pair was haunted. When listening to various music at low levels,  I would hear phones ringing but when I answered there would be no one on the line. And I would hear someone knocking on my door but no one there. I lived at 4 different places and had the same experience.  Shortly after the service my fortes  stayed with my sister and her husband for a while. They made similar comments on how they would answer the door and phone only to find no one there. Then years later my wife asked me if those fortes  were like really good speakers. I laughed and said "of course they're good speakers why?" She said she keeps answering the door but there ain't nobody there!

Hopefully these aren't the same pair! 🤣

3 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Like the misprinted penny or the upside down plane on the stamp, those Forte's might be worth something!

That would be interesting! I'm hoping it is a case of them being "unique" rather than a case of them being two random Fortes that previous owners have stuck together. I can't really imagine a scenario where someone would buy one at at time or put together two from different places, but you never know! Would like to get to the bottom of the mystery, but until then I'll tell myself that I have a "unique" pair!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Skelt said:

I had a pair of forte 1s that different input cups too.  They sounded different from each other, not in a bad way but different. There are construction differences. I think one has full length firring strips along the corners inside the cabs. 

You're right, now that I've played around with the balance, I do think they sound different. One seems more "forward sounding" than the other. I have had to adjust the balance to push more power to one than the other, but I thought that was a receiver issue. Maybe it's both a receiver and a speaker issue??