Pacific Northwest Klipsch Rep (KB-RO)

• Moderators

This is a copy of a post that was made in the Technical section but wanted @JRH the Museum Curator to see it:

This is my first post, so please understand that I might not be in the forum. I will also post this in the Klipsch General Forum.

I worked for the Pacific Northwest Klipsch rep in the late '60's & '70's and traveled with PWK and RLM on the West Coast in Paul's Twin Beechcraft. Have lots of stories! Around 1972, Paul convinced me to sell my Cornwalls and buy Rosewood K-Horns and he'd watch over the order. I did and he did and the model is KB-RO and the serial #'s are 3H272 and 3H273. They were QC'd by Portus Gilley and have the original Type "A" crossover networks, original woofers (K33P I think), K55 (V, I think), but the original K77 (A, I think) had to be replaced with Klipsch K77M's. The K-Horns have been stored for many years, >20 years, but are now back in our media room. Unfortunately, the K77 tweeters are not working correctly, so now to my questions.... 1. Are the K77's repairable and, if not, what is available to replace them. 2. Would you replace the Type "A" crossover network?  3. Should I open the horn hatch and see if the woofer cones are still intact? Any other thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

• Like 1

I need to talk to this guy!! 

Strange that they would have used a Type A crossover in 1972, however, the serial numbers indicate 1970! 

Updating to current with the advent of the AK6 K-horn has become more challenging (and expensive).  You may want to update "only part way".  A lot to be considered.

jim@klipschmuseum.org

I'd love to speak with you at your convenience. We were the Klipsch rep, as well as H.H. Scott, Irish Tape, Tandberg, Audio Empire, Rotron Whisper fans, etc. The company was Ray Johnston Co. and I worked with Ray starting as a 23 year old audio nut. Left Ray in '71 to become a founder of Jafco Electronics in Seattle, WA., where we were, of course, a Klipsch dealer!!!

I'm sure that you are right that these are 1970 K-Horns as I was guessing at '72. I'll take pictures and send them to you.... By the way, they are in mint condition with "bookmatched Rosewood fronts that Paul picked out!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...