La Scala tight central image?

Robbie010

Due to the current lockdown I have done a lot of listening to my clone la scala and have been playing with position and toe-in. 

I don’t have buckets of room to move them around (roughly 5ft apart) but I’m finding the central image is very tight. Sat in my listening position (roughly 12ft away) I can find the central vocal shifting from left to right just by moving my head a few inches left or right. 

Is anyone else using las scala in a smaller space? Have you experienced this?

Any hints or tips?

Imagine they are flood lights.  You can even use a flashlight (oops! torch) against the squawker horn walls to help.  Place something absorbent on the walls and floor where the light hits.  Curtains (drapes?) or tapestries can do this attractively.  There are acoustic panels that work great, but the aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.  You know what to do to the floor.  I suspect you have wall reflections causing the sound changes.  However, my GF often thinks my TV speakers are on because the sound is so center focused. 

You can make your own acoustic panels using a wooden frame and duct board, wraped in attractive fabric. 

https://www.jm.com/en/hvac/duct-board/

Mine are 6.5ft apart, from inside edge to inside edge, and I also sit about 12 feet away.  Try pointing them slightly behind you, then directly at you, then slightly in front of you to see which you prefer.  One of these positions should get you a couple feet of head movement at your listening position while holding a good phantom center image.  

I've tried every listening position my room will allow - up to about 10 feet apart (edge to edge) crossed well in front of me (to the point where they looked silly), but was never able to get a really good rock-steady phantom center image across the width of my sofa.  And at those extremes, I felt the sound suffered in my room.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Mine are 6.5ft apart, from inside edge to inside edge, and I also sit about 12 feet away.  Try pointing them slightly behind you, then directly at you, then slightly in front of you to see which you prefer.  One of these positions should get you a couple feet of head movement at your listening position while holding a good phantom center image.  

I've tried every listening position my room will allow - up to about 10 feet apart (edge to edge) crossed well in front of me (to the point where they looked silly), but was never able to get a really good rock-steady phantom center image across the width of my sofa.  And at those extremes, I felt the sound suffered in my room.

My initial thought was that they were too close together. The best I can do separation wise is about where they are (5ft), maybe a tad more. Other than that, I could bring them in to the room and toe-in to my hearts content. 

Similar with my CF2's.  placed parallel, firing out into the room, the sweet spot was lock-your-head-in-a-vice tiny.

Then I crossed them over so both speaker's coverage pattern was covering all the seating positions.  It's pretty even and nice in there now.

They almost look silly, and are crossed waaay in front of the seating position.  Sounds nice, though.  Best balance is still right in the center of the main sofa, but it's much more even off to the sides.

6 hours ago, glens said:

Cross them to a point in front of your position yet?

Effective, in fact a part of what creates the large sweet spot for my Ohms. The 45 degree angle of the super tweeters are designed to intersect in front of you. Be fun to try it with LaSacalas.