Interesting new 1.4" Eminence horn driver

Dave A

4 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Ok. There’s a review of this driver in the May 2020 issue of voice coil. I attached the waterfall plot. 
I had to try a pair. I mounted them to my Faital LTH142 horns. At 10db attenuation, courtesy of a 3636 autoformer, and crossed at 650hz, they seem a bit hot mated up with a 3015lf-4. 

The freq response I attached is measured in my living room on my iphone so take that for what it’s worth, particularly the <100hz. 
They certainly sound detailed and quality but sometimes I’m reminded I should shave off 2 more db. 

2544C902-B4D9-480F-B02D-CBE890F68178.jpeg

08C9819A-3CDF-4BA2-801C-4E223F8559D6.png

I have mounted a set in that EBay 18" x 10" horn and used the stock Klipsch 904 two way crossover with them and it was much better than the gen 1 510 horn + DE-75 driver. Next month I expect I will get serious about speakers again and along with that is learning to use the analytical tools I have here.

49 minutes ago, jwgorman said:

Yes and better than the 510 clone he sells. I am actually thinking of trying these out with a B&C DE-1085 on some 415lf bins. Cant buy just the 402 horns to fix these sets up and cant afford the $2,500 to buy new sets to stick on old speakers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LTusler said:

Just ordered a pair today to replace the Faital Pro HF140 drivers on my Cornscala D's.  It will be interesting to see if there is more "air" up there.

I think you’ll want to attenuate the N314x a  db  or two more than the hf140. I predict you will hear a lot more cymbal decay, ride cymbal bell etc. It’s a good sounding cd. Not that the HF140 is bad at all. 

18 hours ago, jwgorman said:

I think you’ll want to attenuate the N314x a  db  or two more than the hf140. I predict you will hear a lot more cymbal decay, ride cymbal bell etc. It’s a good sounding cd. Not that the HF140 is bad at all. 

Did the zxpc 17x11 horn with an adapter to allow use with a Faital Pro HF10AK crossed about 850hz.  I am quite amazed by the sound compared to the cost.  The horn really doesn't have as wide a dispersion as they say but provides a large enough sweet spot.  

Playing with their clone Faital lth142 (cheap at $31.99 vs $118 - you even get an adapter). though that horn now makes me think I should be playing with the N314x.  The horn doesn't play as big as the 17x11 though is likely smoother due to being a tractrix. https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x14-Oval-Screw-On-Horn-for-1-3-8-Driver-Also-1-5-or-1-4-Exit-Driver-444/331890485556?hash=item4d4636e934:g:1RwAAOSwYIdWFhIl

• Like 1

I’m still experimenting with it. For the record, I am sure the N314x isn’t perfect and I am sure if you cracked your wallet farther open, you could find a better 1.4”. It’s not as flat as the hf146 on paper, but in my room, crossed at 700ish it measures more flat. 
The overtones on violins is pretty amazing.  The depth of the image seems better with this new eminence. The pluck of a mandolin string sounds lightning quick. As weird as it sounds, the blat on trumpets and such seems to be better presented via the HF146. I’m still working with this guy. 
I have no idea what to make of that. 

1 hour ago, jwgorman said:

I’m still experimenting with it. For the record, I am sure the N314x isn’t perfect and I am sure if you cracked your wallet farther open, you could find a better 1.4”. It’s not as flat as the hf146 on paper, but in my room, crossed at 700ish it measures more flat. 
The overtones on violins is pretty amazing.  The depth of the image seems better with this new eminence. The pluck of a mandolin string sounds lightning quick. As weird as it sounds, the blat on trumpets and such seems to be better presented via the HF146. I’m still working with this guy. 
I have no idea what to make of that. 

I put them on the 402's in  my s-MWM system and what you say is what I heard. However the resonance of the deeper Cello notes the 1132 driver had was not there and deeper notes were shallower. I have since taken them off becaase I just have flat out not had time to fool with dialing them in. I have great hopes for them though especially in smaller horns like the EBay 18 x 10 where it sounded pretty darned good without DSP.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, LTusler said:

Just ordered a pair today to replace the Faital Pro HF140 drivers on my Cornscala D's.  It will be interesting to see if there is more "air" up there.

I got a second set in tool based on what I have heard so far and what I think will happen when these are dialed in.

• Like 1

I installed them last night.  So far I hear more of the room in some recordings and cymbals, tambourine, and brushes are clearer.  Not sure if they need some break in time or not.  I will start some measuring with REW this weekend.

Here is my system as its connected today:

WD My Cloud EX4, Internet, Sirius/XM >Sonos Connect, Coax > Cambridge DacMagic Plus, Analog >MiniDSP DDRC 88BM
Technics 1200MKII w/Ortofon Black, Sony TC-651, Dennon DVD3910, Analog >MiniDSP DDRC 88BM
MiniDSP DDRC 88BM > VTA ST-70, KT-88 >Eminence N314X-8 >Faital Pro LTH142, XO 800 LR12db
MiniDSP DDRC 88BM > Sunfire 2 Channel, Voltage Source >Crites CW1526CF, XO 120/800 LR12db
MiniDSP DDRC 88BM > QSC PLX1104 >Klipsch KP480, XO 120 LR12db

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LTusler said:

I installed them last night.  So far I hear more of the room in some recordings and cymbals, tambourine, and brushes are clearer.  Not sure if they need some break in time or not.  I will start some measuring with REW this weekend.

WD My Cloud EX4, Internet, Sirius/XM >Sonos Connect, Coax > Cambridge DacMagic Plus, Analog >MiniDSP DDRC 88BM
Technics 1200MKII w/Ortofon Black, Sony TC-651, Dennon DVD3910, Analog >MiniDSP DDRC 88BM
MiniDSP DDRC 88BM > VTA ST-70, KT-88 >Eminence N314X-8 >Faital Pro LTH142, XO 800 LR12db
MiniDSP DDRC 88BM > Sunfire 2 Channel, Voltage Source >Crites CW1526CF, XO 120/800 LR12db

Nice. I will be curious to know how your experiment goes.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:46 PM, LTusler said:

How’s your experiment going?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 7:48 PM, LTusler said:

The listening portion is going well.  I really like the sound.  Haven't had time to do any measuring though.

Have you had time to do some measuring? I was a bit dubious about Eminence compression drivers but my seat of the pants assessment is these are good drivers. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, Dave A said:

Yes and better than the 510 clone he sells. I am actually thinking of trying these out with a B&C DE-1085 on some 415lf bins. Cant buy just the 402 horns to fix these sets up and cant afford the $2,500 to buy new sets to stick on old speakers.

Dave, the 18x10s with the 2” to 1.4” adaptors showed up today. Thanks for the tip. I hooked up my HF146 drivers and man they sound good. I had to do some clean up on the throats but no big deal. I think they sound better than the LTH142s or the XT1464s run passively. I took off my top hats from my two ways and they are just setting on top, so far from ideal, but they sound great. 
Any idea what horn they are a copy of? I will soon mount the N314x and take it from there. 
This is an amazing horn for the money. 

EC93C912-FB10-4C47-8666-DA2696B0B7AE.jpeg

• Like 1

In working on the geometry of my tweeters and some mid range wood horns yet to be revealed but getting cut in the next week or so. I find there is an arc shape present in a lot of these horns that is pretty close. I think they just took the same basic shape seen elsewhere and made it bigger. It seems to work right for sound quality. I have not been serious about testing the new Eminence driver until I had my mid range lens done.