Interesting new 1.4" Eminence horn driver

Dave A

I think the usable low end is lower than where I want to crossover at. I have to research the Hz various sounds I want to enhance begins and I am figuring that is where I want to start. Eminence says 800hz at 12db is the recommended crossover point but I will be much higher than that.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Guys, I bought 2 pairs of these awesome drivers and I am using one pair for my home stereo. I was going to use the second pair for another project I started but I have too much going on.  I thought I would offer you guys first chance at a pair of lightly used N314X, delivered to the lower 48 for $600. 

I know that feeling well between too many projects and medical lately.

Dave, hope you are doing ok. Have you had time for more experimentation with this driver? 
The derecho that hit Iowa took the doors off my shop and damaged the roof. My OCD will have to be happy with experiments on my living room speakers for the near future. 
I do think you are on to something with the higher crossover point. Even at 1kHz 2nd order I think it sounds really good. Your idea of using it for a tweeter is a good one I think.  

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, Dave A said:

I understand and have been well pleased with the two way pro systems I have had and the S-MWM. I stuck those N314x on my 402's in lieu of the 1132's and was amazed at what they did. My complaint and the reason the 1132's went back on there was lower notes like Cellos or the deeper set of chimes on Pink Floyds "Time" sounded much better with the 1132's. But wood percussion, cymbals and higher hz  instruments sounded better with the N314x. My preference is for better mid range but if I could combine the two and get the best of both it would be jaw dropping.

Hi Dave.  Have you found the crossover points and low mid driver to combine with these N314x. They sound so promising, but the words above have slowed me down on any movement with them.    I see you are using a different horn than what I will use, a ZXPC horn, either the 18" or the 17"  ( I haven't been able to narrow in the sonic differences). Could that cause those issues with Cello, and Pink Flloyd bells? Alternatively, I am also looking at the DH1A and DE10 combo sitting on top of my Cornwall bass bin (and then with FH1s when they raise their heads on my local CL) as a possibility. 

JWGorman, Have you found any issue in your lower mid range? Your speaker system sounds similar to what I'd do.

Thanks for any insight!

I would suggest that these work best from 1k up in a two way.  This led me to use a different 15” (Faital) in my two-way with a flatter response above 1khz. That worked out pretty well. 
I believe Dave has more hours of experience with the N314x than I do. I hear the same issues he did when he was using them crossed as low as I am. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

regular price is    700$ to 800$  -----so yeah , great price

Randy reminded me that I had left the for sale notice in this thread. I have corrected that. They sold a long time ago. I should not have sold them. I am starting another project they would be perfect for d’oh. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Albatross said:

Hi Dave.  Have you found the crossover points and low mid driver to combine with these N314x. They sound so promising, but the words above have slowed me down on any movement with them.    I see you are using a different horn than what I will use, a ZXPC horn, either the 18" or the 17"  ( I haven't been able to narrow in the sonic differences). Could that cause those issues with Cello, and Pink Flloyd bells? Alternatively, I am also looking at the DH1A and DE10 combo sitting on top of my Cornwall bass bin (and then with FH1s when they raise their heads on my local CL) as a possibility. 

JWGorman, Have you found any issue in your lower mid range? Your speaker system sounds similar to what I'd do.

Thanks for any insight!

I quit trying to make these work because other projects were more important. I still think there is something good to be had there and have passed them on to someone who knows a lot more about this type of thing than I. He will be trying these out on my new 14 x 7 wood horn. I will say that on my Super MWM's here I had crossed over at 500hz before I have found 650 to 700hz sounds  better. This is new diaphragm material on the 314 and the next offerings should be improved, if they do offer more.

13 hours ago, jwgorman said:

I would suggest that these work best from 1k up in a two way.  This led me to use a different 15” (Faital) in my two-way with a flatter response above 1khz. That worked out pretty well. 
I believe Dave has more hours of experience with the N314x than I do. I hear the same issues he did when he was using them crossed as low as I am. 

I have been advised to have the lowest crossover point possible to the horn but playing around with the Xilica is leading me to believe that does not always work.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, jwgorman said:

Dave, hope you are doing ok. Have you had time for more experimentation with this driver? 
The derecho that hit Iowa took the doors off my shop and damaged the roof. My OCD will have to be happy with experiments on my living room speakers for the near future. 
I do think you are on to something with the higher crossover point. Even at 1kHz 2nd order I think it sounds really good. Your idea of using it for a tweeter is a good one I think.  

There are potential medical problems with my wife that have me concerned but I am fine. I want those 314's to work. The first time I head them it was pretty striking. I think it was the percussion and higher string notes were so clear but over time as daily listening went further I began to realize I was missing other things. The mind can play tricks on you with initial impressions. Hope things are OK for your family.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Randy reminded me that I had left the for sale notice in this thread. I have corrected that. They sold a long time ago. I should not have sold them. I am starting another project they would be perfect for d’oh. 

Question for you -which horn are you using with these  ? and how much power are you running these with ?  - I 'm leaning for the  N314T-100 watts -

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/driver-detail/?model=N314T8

I just bought a pair of these from LTusler.  Thanks again!  Got them hooked up on Friday and spent the better part of the weekend dialing in the DSP.  I am using them with ZXPC 11x17 horns with Eminence 1.4-2" adapters. 

My findings line up closely with what Dave A and jwgorman have found.  Initially, I tried to cross it at 400hz, like I had been doing previously with my B&C De750TN, but this did not sound good.  The highs were clearly much more refined, but there was a crunchiness to the mid-range that did not sound good at all.  I raised the crossover to 700hz, which is about as high as my LS bass bins will allow, and they sound much happier.  I suspect that they would sound even better at 1000hz, but my current setup cant get there.  I bought these drivers in anticipation of a future project that will allow a higher crossover point, so I look forward to trying that later in the year.  For now, 700hz sounds pretty good.

Overall impressions are excellent.  I had pretty good sound before with the B&C drivers, but the Eminence immediately stood out as having much, MUCH better high frequency sound.  The B&C, with their titanium diaphragms, always sounded hashy up top.  A crash cymbal would be there, but it would sound like radio static more than the real thing.  The Eminence drivers are much clearer and actually sound like cymbals.  I have never heard beryllium drivers before, but this is sounds like how I imagine Be drivers do.  Very clean, natural decay, lots of detail, no harshness.  Perhaps I am still in the honeymoon period with these guys, but I am liking it, A LOT!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Question for you -which horn are you using with these  ? and how much power are you running these with ?  - I 'm leaning for the  N314T-100 watts -

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/driver-detail/?model=N314T8

I am using the 10x18 zxpc. Not much power. At my chair, about 12ft from the speakers,  I sometimes get to 105 db. I would think the horns are getting less than 5 watts peak. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwgorman said:

I am using the 10x18 zxpc. Not much power. At my chair, about 12ft from the speakers,  I sometimes get to 105 db. I would think the horns are getting less than 5 watts peak. 

tx

Edited by RandyH000

-Tx for the info - I will have to visit the local dealer  to sample both units --   the  100 watts unit is Backordered  --- the N314X - ( 21  at Eminence  )-Carbon fiber diaphragm  -I was told it has a cleaner sound

• Like 1

Ok, now a little data to help us all visualize what we are hearing.  Here are two spectrogram plots.  The first one, dated today, is my LS bass bins, with Eminence N314X drivers on ZXPC 17x11, crossed at 700hz.  The second plot is my previous setup, with was the LS bins with B&C De750TNs on ZXPC horn, crossed at 400hz.  The difference in high frequency ringing seems to tell the tale.

4_21_21.jpg.67aada316148f6512b551e2f1e02a680.jpg

2.18.21.jpg

• Like 1