Interesting new 1.4" Eminence horn driver

Dave A

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Dave A said:

How did you determine the values on the Zobel?

It's actually pretty easy if you have a measurement system like DATS or similar. A Zobel consists of a resistor in series with a capacitor. That circuit is connected across the driver terminals (in parallel with the driver). You can have a separate Zobel for each driver, if you wish. I usually set the resistor to approximately the same value as the minimum impedance of the driver. Then I experiment with capacitor values until the magnitude of the impedance is as flat as possible and the phase is as near 0° as possible -- sometimes it's a tradeoff.

I often model the driver in SPICE to speed-up the experimentation, though that is a considerably more difficult process.

Hi,

I assume that the 1.4”-2” adapter on PE referred to here is the eminence one? If so, does anyone know if the exit angles match up between the new driver and the adapter? Or if eminence have any plans on a 2” version of the driver (could be a 1.4” with built in adapter similar to what faital does)?

cheers

adrian 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, Edgar said:

It's actually pretty easy if you have a measurement system like DATS or similar. A Zobel consists of a resistor in series with a capacitor. That circuit is connected across the driver terminals (in parallel with the driver). You can have a separate Zobel for each driver, if you wish. I usually set the resistor to approximately the same value as the minimum impedance of the driver. Then I experiment with capacitor values until the magnitude of the impedance is as flat as possible and the phase is as near 0° as possible -- sometimes it's a tradeoff.

I often model the driver in SPICE to speed-up the experimentation, though that is a considerably more difficult process.

I do have the new DATS but have never hooked it up yet. One thing seems to lead to another around here and I have never fooled with it yet.

• Like 1

salut @ Dave A

Calculator if you speak french or google trad

Zobel RLC for curve, Fs resonnance bump, ...

http://petoindominique.fr/php/filtrerlcp.php

result example

http://www.petoindominique.fr/php/mesure_calcul2.php

LPad

http://www.petoindominique.fr/php/filtreatt.php

result example

http://www.petoindominique.fr/php/filtreatt2aff.php

http://www.petoindominique.fr/php/filtreatt1aff.php

In English ;)

Zobel only for end of curve > for tweeter, not Fs resonnance bump

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/iec.html

Excellent network calculator with R Ohms setting according to the impedance seen by the filter.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/CBBC.html

🙂

Sitting in the shop this evening and pondering how amazing these Eminence drivers  are with certain aspects of music. Also thinking of what would they be like as HF for the super MWM's. Considering the idea of a three way and letting the 402+1132 which is crossed over at 650 stay the same and then add in the NX with the 10 x 18 EBay horn to go along with it at say maybe 6hz and up with an L-Pad. The airy super definition of that Eminence would really work well I am thinking. While I am at it I might try these 15" B&C woofers I was given to try for speaker builds and see how they work in the S-MWM bins. I want to fire these up at the next swag and watch everyone look at their arms as the hair stands straight up. You don't believe that happens? Well yes actually it does.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

Sitting in the shop this evening and pondering how amazing these Eminence drivers  are with certain aspects of music. Also thinking of what would they be like as HF for the super MWM's. Considering the idea of a three way and letting the 402+1132 which is crossed over at 650 stay the same and then add in the NX with the 10 x 18 EBay horn to go along with it at say maybe 6hz and up with an L-Pad. The airy super definition of that Eminence would really work well I am thinking. While I am at it I might try these 15" B&C woofers I was given to try for speaker builds and see how they work in the S-MWM bins. I want to fire these up at the next swag and watch everyone look at their arms as the hair stands straight up. You don't believe that happens? Well yes actually it does.

That's for darn sure!  Do you already have the 10x18 horn?  Is that the ZPX Bi Radial, or something else.  Got my popcorn ready and will be curious as to the comparison of the 2 way versus 3.  I should have left you the ESS AMT's to add to the testing.   

1 hour ago, jwgorman said:

I have had plenty of OCD issues with this two way. I would need therapy if tried a three way again. 😳

I understand and have been well pleased with the two way pro systems I have had and the S-MWM. I stuck those N314x on my 402's in lieu of the 1132's and was amazed at what they did. My complaint and the reason the 1132's went back on there was lower notes like Cellos or the deeper set of chimes on Pink Floyds "Time" sounded much better with the 1132's. But wood percussion, cymbals and higher hz  instruments sounded better with the N314x. My preference is for better mid range but if I could combine the two and get the best of both it would be jaw dropping.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

I stuck those N314x on my 402's in lieu of the 1132's and was amazed at what they did. My complaint and the reason the 1132's went back on there was lower notes like Cellos or the deeper set of chimes on Pink Floyds "Time" sounded much better with the 1132's. But wood percussion, cymbals and higher hz  instruments sounded better with the N314x. My preference is for better mid range but if I could combine the two and get the best of both it would be jaw dropping.

Interesting I wonder if the size difference in the drivers is what causes this as I had a similar experience recently when I installed the B&C DE-120 in my RF-7's.

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

I understand and have been well pleased with the two way pro systems I have had and the S-MWM. I stuck those N314x on my 402's in lieu of the 1132's and was amazed at what they did. My complaint and the reason the 1132's went back on there was lower notes like Cellos or the deeper set of chimes on Pink Floyds "Time" sounded much better with the 1132's. But wood percussion, cymbals and higher hz  instruments sounded better with the N314x. My preference is for better mid range but if I could combine the two and get the best of both it would be jaw dropping.

I understand exactly what you mean here. What do you think the useable low end on the N314x is?