Advice needed for receiver

X26

Hi all, 

I am new here and since I bought an all Klipsch set I want to ask you for advice on my receiver. 

Current setup:

Denon AVR X1300W
Jamo 426 HCS 3
Klipsch R110SW

Yet ordered upgrade:

RP-6000F

RP-504C

RP-502S

And I'll stick with the R110SW

First I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this set since I'm still able to swap/return. 

Then secondly, I can imagine that my current Denon AVR X1300W might need an upgrade as well. Am I right or will it be good enough? Could you guys advise me some good receivers that will fit the setup well? 

Thanks!

Kind regards, 

Bart

Edited by X26
  • Like 1

@X26,

Welcome to the forum.

58 minutes ago, X26 said:

Did I do anything wrong? Why didn't this get any response? 

Could have just gotten lost in the mix.  Your title "Advice needed for receiver" is a very common subject and many, like myself, maybe just skimmed by it.  Sorry about that.

Your potential speaker setup looks to be a nice upgrade over your current rig.

What is the size of your room?

How many total speakers are you planning on having?

Is it open to kitchen, breakfast area, etc?

As far as needing to upgrade your AVR, hard to say without knowing more information.

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Willand,

Thank you for your response, I can imagine that this seems to be just another generic topic. It is important for me tho so I will try to make the situation clear.

Please find a drawing of my room in the attachments.

Thanks for the help!

Hifi plan.jpg

• Like 1

If you are mostly into multi-channel home theater at moderate volume levels, then your current Denon is probably great.  If you like to crank it up, or you are going to use this system for 2-channel listening with other sources (DACs, TT's, streaming), then you may want to consider an AVR with pre-outs for each channel and an external amp.  In general, an AVR with pre-outs keeps your options open.

I think you should be fine with this receiver!

it is more than good enough in terms of modern technology and the power output of 80 watt when 2 channel driven might sound like not enough but with these very sensitive Klipsch speakers, the whole front stage has a 97Db sensitivity and the surrounds are 95Db, so with the 80 watt from your avr you can reach still high enough Db in your livingroom.

Of course these speakers can handle more, but I  think when all is setup you will not feel the need to change your avr right away.

12 hours ago, X26 said:

Did I do anything wrong? Why didn't this get any response? 

You posted in the Home Theater Forum.  Unless someone answers real quick your thread will get pushed "out of sight" by other threads and not many people visit the HT Forum.

You did nothing wrong.  In fact, you did the right thing by bumping this up to the top.  I think you'll get a few responses now. 

This is the best and most honest advice ever.. Thanks! All shops adviced me to upgrade to an AVR X2600h or X3600h. 

Should I go for a X3600h if I could get it for 600 euros? There seems to be a slight possibility that I could get that deal. 

That is a great deal 650 euro (705.00 USD) for the X3600 here in the US they are 750.00 for a refurbished unit. The 3600 would give you preout jacks for adding more power if needed, all the latest codecs. I think you would notice an improvement over your X1300

18 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

What would the X3600h do that your current X1300w doesn't?

Haha that is exactly what I'm trying to find out. All the resellers want to sell me a new AV. 

Accordingo to them the reason why I should upgrade is because I'm heavily investing in decent speakers and should power it with a decent AV then as well. They compare it to a car: a very aerodynamic body with a 1 liter 45hp engine. Upgrade it with a decent engine, enough horsepower (more watts) and it runs way more smooth.

Will I notice any difference?

If your X1300w sounded good and had enough power for your Jamo's, they will certainly have plenty for your new Klipsch which are much more efficient and easier to drive.  The only reason I would consider the X3600h is, as mentioned above, it has pre-outs that would allow you to add a really nice, clean, external amp down the road.  In that case, offer them 600 euro 🙂. I don't know if you would hear much of a difference going from one Denon AVR to another unless they really improved the internals, DACs, DSP, or microphone on the X3600h.  

1 hour ago, X26 said:

Haha that is exactly what I'm trying to find out. All the resellers want to sell me a new AV. 

Accordingo to them the reason why I should upgrade is because I'm heavily investing in decent speakers and should power it with a decent AV then as well. They compare it to a car: a very aerodynamic body with a 1 liter 45hp engine. Upgrade it with a decent engine, enough horsepower (more watts) and it runs way more smooth.

Will I notice any difference?

I don't think you will notice the difference when playing music or watching movies on reasonably normal levels. I guess you are from the Netherlands, and if yes, you probably have neighbors who have their house attached to your house, so extremely high levels of Db are not going to be happening without issues.

Also you need to keep in mind that to play 3 Db higher you will need to double the wattage, so double the power for 3Db extra. Your current Denon has 80 watt when 2 channel driven, the 3600h has 105 watt when 2 channel driven, so 25 watt extra on top of the 80 watt will give you maybe 1 or 2 Db extra volume from your speakers. I would say definately not worth the money. 

Only thing is what pbphoto says, if you also want to add external amplification, than the 3600h gives you the pre-outs needed for that. But then we are talking also the price of bying a external amplifier.

I would for sure first try your current AVR, and then after a month or so, decide what to do.

I believe I'm a bit late to discussion, but...  I just dethroned my Denon x2400h from "HT receiver" position and imo mid-line Denon receivers (at least x2400) is overrated and under powered. 

It felt under powered and was running hot compared to my old Pioneer from the beginning and 95W in 2-ch sounded less powerful and less detailed than Pioneers 80W. So after a 1.5 years I'm back to Pioneer. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

I believe I'm a bit late to discussion, but...  I just dethroned my Denon x2400h from "HT receiver" position and imo mid-line Denon receivers (at least x2400) is overrated and under powered. 

It felt under powered and was running hot compared to my old Pioneer from the beginning and 95W in 2-ch sounded less powerful and less detailed than Pioneers 80W. So after a 1.5 years I'm back to Pioneer. :)

Could not agree more, I had a denon X 1000 was extremely disappointed with the power output, The Denon AVR 2800 that it replaced had a lot more power and a lot more headroom, The main reason I replaced it was due to the need of HDMI and wanting to be a little more current...  Long story short I ended up with a NADT758 which has been by far the best sounding receiver I’ve ever owned...  However I do understand the need to stay within a budget, But if possible I would strongly consider upgrading the receiver... In comparison both of my denons ran very hot,however the NAD barely breaks a sweat...

My vote is for Pioneer. 

I had a few receivers in the past (Yamaha, Onkio, Denon and 2 Pioneers) and all of them were "mid line" and Pioneers left most positive memories. Also, it's my first Denon and maybe I'm wrong, but imo the x2400h sounds pretty dull compared to my older Pioneers and new to me SC-55. At least for now I'm still going to keep the x2400 for HT cuz of 4K and Atmos, but all music going through the SC-55.

• Like 1