Amp for RF83's

CSUPhil

Well, now that my kids are home from college for the foreseeable future, I've decided that I've had enough of my awesome RF83's being part of the home theater in the rec room. Netflix, Playstation, XBox, and Tik Tok do not deserve this quality.  I have a pair of R51M's that will do just fine. I'm taking the big guys up to my loft / bar and want a simple 2 channel amp for spinning vinyl, and maybe some streaming some high quality digital files. 

I can get a good deal on the Denon pma-1600ne but at only 70W at 8 ohms I'm not sure it has the power to drive these big guys. I've had someone suggest the Peachtree Nova 150 as well. I'd like to be between $1,000 - $1,500. 

Any thoughts out there among the Klipsch experts?

Edited by CSUPhil

@CSUPhil,

Welcome to the forum.

8 hours ago, CSUPhil said:

I've decided that I've had enough of my awesome RF83's being part of the home theater in the rec room. Netflix, Playstation, XBox, and Tik Tok do not deserve this quality.  I have a pair of R51M's that will do just fine. I'm taking the big guys up to my loft / bar and want a simple 2 channel amp for spinning vinyl, and maybe some streaming some high quality digital files. 

8 hours ago, CSUPhil said:

I can get a good deal on the Denon pma-1600ne but at only 70W at 8 ohms I'm not sure it has the power to drive these big guys.

If my experience with my "only' 90w/ch@8ohms Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp with my RF-63's in a 5000ft3 room are any indication, that Denon will have an easy time with your RF-83's.

Just look at what is under the hood of the Denon.

Denon PMA-1600NE

Similar to my Yamaha but with dual transformers(one winding for audio, one for controls) instead of the Yamaha's single.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Catawiki

I have owned a few 80's/90's Denon PMA integrateds and have found them rock solid in build, neutral presentation, great bass drive capabilities, unlimited dynamics, and super reliable.  I sure hope these modern PMA's continue with that tradition while adding some great features.

Bill

Thanks for the reply. You kind of confirmed my thoughts on the Denon. I use an AVR-2808ci in the rec room that pushes 110W and does pretty well with the 83's when I get the chance to use it. I've also had good experience with Yamaha but I don't currently see a model comparable. 

29 minutes ago, CSUPhil said:

I've also had good experience with Yamaha but I don't currently see a model comparable. 

While Yamaha does have a model "close" to the Denon's price point, https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Stereo-Components/Integrated-Amplifiers/Yamaha-A-S1000-Integrated-Amplifier?sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100,  those integrateds are analog only and looks to not be a fit with your plans for high quality digital files, unless of course you have or are going to buy an outboard DAC.

Bill

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CSUPhil said:

One of the draws to Peachtree was that it has a high quality DAC included. What would you suggest?

That Denon's onboard DAC looks pretty nice also with it's PCM1795 chip from Texas Instruments(Burr Brown).

Bill

I use a Sunfire Tube Preamp and a 300 watt Sunfire 300 TWO with my 83s and the really shine.  The amp has a current and a voltage speaker outputs for different results. I connect the current output to the highs to get that tube like sweetness, and the voltage output to the lows for bass control.

Don't be afraid to play around plugging different combinations of the rear ports to get the best bass results. Also try different distances from back wall.  My optimum was 2 ports plugged out of the 3, around 2 feet from back wall and toed in pointing around 1.5 feet from my ears.

Have fun!!