The Klipsch Audio Community
ILI

A note of caution: recording of16Hz organ may damage speakers ?

Take a look at the note of caution in the screenshot below. Ever seen something like that?

I'm happily playing it on both my Heresy and RP160M speaker sets.

image.thumb.png.531fb904f917616c5c1fbd5d4fa54f41.png

Heresys & book shelf speakers can't reproduce freq's that low so you're not really hearing the 16hz or anything below about 45 on those speakers. but freq that low can still damage the speakers if played too loud so be careful. 

• Like 1

Would like to think speakers have a low pass filter.

I feel the caution primarily pertains to ported or otherwise open-enough boxes where excessive unloaded excursion could result.  Might also pertain to passive radiators.  The warning is valid, if perhaps too-simply worded.

To some degree, it could be a bit of reverse psychology to impress about the low frequency ability of the recording.  I’m reminded of the warning placed on canned tunafish to combat canned salmon:

”Guaranteed not to turn pink in the can”

• Like 1

My IB laughs at 16Hz.  Hahahahahahaha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

To some degree, it could be a bit of reverse psychology to impress about the low frequency ability of the recording.  I’m reminded of the warning placed on canned tunafish to combat canned salmon:

”Guaranteed not to turn pink in the can”

I agree. More like marketing BS than an actual warning.

Yes, I have seen such a warning and it was real.  It was on a Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture.  The dynamic range was extreme and the boom from the cannon is capable of plopping your woofer cones onto the floor if you use too much power.  Like turntable rumble, ultra low frequencies, that your speakers can't reproduce, can still damage the woofers. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Yes, I have seen such a warning and it was real.  It was on a Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture.  The dynamic range was extreme and the boom from the cannon is capable of plopping your woofer cones onto the floor if you use too much power.  Like turntable rumble, ultra low frequencies, that your speakers can't reproduce, can still damage the woofers. 

I still have that, 40 years old, record somewhere - impressive groove, deviates more than 1 mm during that cannon shot If I remember correctly  🙂

I, too, still have my copy from back then.  As I recall you can readily see the individual grooves from a great distance.

Agree, ported enclosures such as Cornwall will cause woofer overload below 25hz, if you pump more juice into the box than you ought too! The woofer's excursion moves dramatically but you don't hear anything...so careful!

• Like 1

If you REALLY want to hear those cannons, get a copy of this Telarc CD. They're unbelievable & will scare your friends if you crank it up 😁

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, JefDC said:

I still have that, 40 years old, record somewhere - impressive groove, deviates more than 1 mm during that cannon shot If I remember correctly  🙂

ha! i have the CD version!  Not sure if its that old! well. hmm early 80s? yep, that is 40 years old. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, billybob said:

Would like to think speakers have a low pass filter.

We would all like to think that, but it's extremely rare.  Only a sealed box of the proper size is capable of doing that for a passive speaker.  You could add high-pass capacitors before the speaker, but that can mess with other things.  The reliable way is to multi-amp your setup and only feed a driver with the frequencies it can produce.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, consistent said:

Agree, ported enclosures such as Cornwall will cause woofer overload below 25hz, if you pump more juice into the box than you ought too! The woofer's excursion moves dramatically but you don't hear anything...so careful!

Expanding on this:  Ported enclosures UNLOAD the driver below their tuning frequency, and the farther below that frequency you go, the less power it takes to drive your woofer past it's mechanical limits.  Sadly, and especially with cheaper boxes, that tuning frequency can be a lot higher than expected.

• Like 1