[NEW GUY ALERT] Tire Kicking: Cornwall IV & Heresy IV

Greetz,

So after a long time of researching and trying to listen as many speakers as I can, I had an epiphany about the Heresy IV. Klipsch wasn't on my radar but it became clear to me that they have the traits I want most: emotion, fun and with some semblance of refinement. I have not heard any recent Klipsch but I recollect hearing them decades ago. So though its been a while, in my memory I have an aural snapshot of the sound.

Until all this recent unpleasantness started I was set to pull the trigger on a set of Heresys later this year. This is all on hold now but a little voice in my head keeps whispering about the Cornwalls.

At first blush they are too much money and seemingly too large for my 800sqft place. Plus I have neighbors behind the front wall and above me, so that 15" woofer seems like a bad idea on paper. My living room/dining room is roughly 11' x 28' with 8' ceilings but the area the speakers occupy would be 14' along the 28' wall firing across the 11' width of the room. Due to windows and door placement there really isn't any other workable solution. Also, I run a small sub next to the sitting position which gives me bass my current stand mounts don't and allows me to keep the sub volume low but sounds nice.

So the question I am posing to all is: would the Cornwall IV's be a waste of time and money in such a relatively small space? Would I be better off with Heresy IV's and a new sub?

Very anxious to hear your thoughts...

Moosh

Edited by Moosh Bronsun
  • Like 2

Of course we didn't bother to ask about your source, amps/preamps, etc, choice of music.....but suffice it to say that for those limited number of folks that have heard both the CW4 and the H4, that from what you have described of your room, that the H4 seems to fit the bill nicely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Of course we didn't bother to ask about your source, amps/preamps, etc, choice of music.....but suffice it to say that for those limited number of folks that have heard both the CW4 and the H4, that from what you have described of your room, that the H4 seems to fit the bill nicely.

Odyssey Khartago (110 wpc A/B) fronted by a Quicksilver (tube) Line Stage. Fed by a Technics SL1200 GR with Nagaoka MP150 through a Lounge LCR MKIII.

i forgot your mention that.

music: 80’s & 90’s alt, industrial and goth. Lots of 50’s, 60’s, 70’s reggae and dub. A sprinkling of jazz and hip hop. Classic punk and hardcore, black/ritual ambient, power noise, avant- garde, musique concrete, abstract electronics and some death metal.

Edited by Moosh Bronsun
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Both the CW 4 and the H4 are really nice speakers , but the CW4 - man , that is a fantastic speaker -----

That’s the impression I’m getting. And I’ve never had the best of anything, always entry level stuff. So I guess I wonder if waiting a few more months and going with the Cornwall is a better decision in the long run. I just don’t want to buy something and not be in a position to allow it to be it’s best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Randyh said:

buy what you can afford ----

If the Cornwall is what I decide on I’ll keep saving until I get there. Initially, my budget was $3k. I guess I’d feel bad if Cornwall is so monumentally better than the Heresys and could have sat on my hands a while longer and gotten them instead.

• Like 1

Call Cory at the number shown in https://www.paducahhometheater.com/.  He's here on this forum as well, and as I did for a pair of Forte IIIs, he may well have killer price on "B" stock, either model you're considering, for you.  I really can't determine why mine would've not been "A" stock, but I'm not complaining.  He's highly responsive in every aspect of transaction.  Extremely highly recommended!

• Like 1

You don't have the physical space for the Cornwalls; they would swallow up too much of that 800 sq.ft.

Get the Heresy IVs, and if they don't have enough bass, you've already got the sub to augment things. The Heresy IV's as-is will still annoy your neighbors, which is a bonus!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

You don't have the physical space for the Cornwalls; they would swallow up too much of that 800 sq.ft.

Get the Heresy IVs, and if they don't have enough bass, you've already got the sub to augment things. The Heresy IV's as-is will still annoy your neighbors, which is a bonus!

Thanks and really, you’re confirming something that reviewers seem to be alluding to in their reviews (and something I have been fearing). The Heresy IVs will be a huge upgrade from my current stand mounts. That’s for certain.

Before you pull the trigger, let me suggest a couple of things. 

First, on the Klipsch website somewhere there is a list of dealers that stock the heritage line. By all means, listen to them yourself. Second hand opinions on the internet are exactly that ---- second hand opinions. You are the one that needs to live with them. 

Second, don't shy away from the earlier versions of Cornwalls and Heresys. They frequently come up for sale on CraigsList etc. They will be considerably less expensive. In terms of value (bang for the buck) you might be amazed, truly amazed. 

BTW, Personally, I don't think the Cornwalls are too big. Besides if you buy a used pair and they don't work out, you can easily sell them for about what you paid. 

EDIT: My suggestion about used versions does not mean that the (near) current versions are not great sounding. I have not heard them (they have not been around long enough to be in the used market). I imagine they sound great, but those high prices scare me off. 

Good luck,

-Tom