[NEW GUY ALERT] Tire Kicking: Cornwall IV & Heresy IV

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Before you pull the trigger, let me suggest a couple of things. 

First, on the Klipsch website somewhere there is a list of dealers that stock the heritage line. By all means, listen to them yourself. Second hand opinions on the internet are exactly that ---- second hand opinions. You are the one that needs to live with them. 

There’s is a single dealer here and they’ve not responded to emails or phone calls (January). As I’m not set to buy right this moment I am not pursuing them further.  I may try again later but quite frankly they don’t seem interested. 

I would like to hear them both and I’d happily pack up amp and preamp and haul them to where ever. We shall see if that happens.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome, what your going through almost everyone here has gone through, I like what this model sounds like I wonder what the next up model sounds like.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Welcome, what your going through almost everyone here has gone through, I like what this model sounds like I wonder what the next up model sounds like.  

Absolutely. And my biggest thing is not to sit and listen all the while wondering if I should have waited and gone further up line. I want to have no regrets.

as asked earlier, I don’t know why I don’t consider the Forte III. It too gets much praise. I think I read somewhere that it’s overall sound is a little different than the Heresy and Cornwall. I don’t know where I got that from and maybe it’s BS. But as with the Cornwall, I worry about that radiator crushing the neighbor on the other side of the wall. Some of the music I spin has relentless bass (Nordvagr, Scorn).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

But as with the Cornwall, I worry about that radiator crushing the neighbor on the other side of the wall. Some of the music I spin has relentless bass (Nordvagr, Scorn).

May I suggest these?  "Problem" solved.:P

Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Semi-Open Headphones - Oak | Sweetwater

Bill

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

Absolutely. And my biggest thing is not to sit and listen all the while wondering if I should have waited and gone further up line. I want to have no regrets.

as asked earlier, I don’t know why I don’t consider the Forte III. It too gets much praise. I think I read somewhere that it’s overall sound is a little different than the Heresy and Cornwall. I don’t know where I got that from and maybe it’s BS. But as with the Cornwall, I worry about that radiator crushing the neighbor on the other side of the wall. Some of the music I spin has relentless bass (Nordvagr, Scorn).

As someone who has lived with forte IIs since 1989, just know---they are one of the best balanced overall speakers you can find, and on top of that they rock!

• Like 3

I have a pair of custom pro-CornScala's in a fairly small room with 15" woofers room is approx. 13x23 and they have no problem filling the room with great detail even at low volume very full sounding with great bottom end. My speakers are front ported like the Cornwall IV and are placed on a wall where a bedroom is on the other-side and bass does not travel through at normal listening levels. If it were me and my money I'd say go for the Cornwall IV I think you'd be happy with the larger sound and higher sensitivity as long as you don't get crazy with the volume control you (and your neighbors)  will be just fine.

36 minutes ago, Randyh said:

[Cornwall IV] are not as detailed in the highs mids as the heresy ...

I respectfully disagree. I listened to them all at the Bonehead class last October. Midrange and highs on the Cornwall IV are in a class all by themselves. 

IMHO. YMMV. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

• Like 2

In an unrelated note, I had to measure my living area but I realized my dims in the original post are incorrect.

The short wall is 165” (over 13’) vs the 11’ I originally spec’d. And with this, my stand mounts are 13” (from rear of cabinet) from the front wall and the tweeters are 122” from my ears. The tweeters are 102” driver to driver. The left speaker is closest to a corner at 39” from box to wall. The right speaker has the least amount of sideways room due to my turntable being there at 47”. I could conceivably move the little table it’s on but no idea where. The TV bench the audio equipment sits on is 72” wide and 22” deep.GLrDbLf.jpg

Not sure if that makes any difference. 

Edited by Moosh Bronsun

On 4/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, Moosh Bronsun said:

My living room/dining room is roughly 11' x 28' with 8' ceilings but the area the speakers occupy would be 14' along the 28' wall firing across the 11' width of the room. Due to windows and door placement there really isn't any other workable solution.

I have a pair of LaScalas in that same space. They're set ~12 feet apart, severely toed in toward the main listening position [opposite wall, between the speakers]. May not be ideal, but you can sit anywhere on the wall opposite the speakers w/o one being right in your face.

Looks like you're talking yourself into the Cornwalls.  They'll be a little more 3D than that, obviously, and I'd think that pulled out into the room so much wouldn't be the way you'd want to use them.

You expressed concern about neighbors behind that wall but it for all the world sure looks like masonry so that shouldn't be a problem.

I still say you'd be entirely content with Forte IIIs.

...if they are set where the stands are, that would be better, if possible. Yoda will have a new place to stand... CW's don't need to be off the wall. Front ports[?] If I am wrong, someone will be sure to correct me.

in my room 12 X 25

I have the LaScalas toed in so much, that you can hear them quite well from the amp/receiver... positioned the same as you. 

they don't seem as big as when I brought them in...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glens said:

Looks like you're talking yourself into the Cornwalls.  They'll be a little more 3D than that, obviously, and I'd think that pulled out into the room so much wouldn't be the way you'd want to use them.

You expressed concern about neighbors behind that wall but it for all the world sure looks like masonry so that shouldn't be a problem.

I still say you'd be entirely content with Forte IIIs.

Was more or less curious. It’s funny as I have yet to even consider the Forte III. I think the reason is that they’ve been out a while and by all accounts the Heresy and Cornwall’s newest incarnations are very much a step up. If the Forte IV was coming I’d probably look into that. I have been reading the reviews though and even GR Research has nice things to say even though they offer an upgrade kit for it.

Again, its not that I want to spend tons of money I just don’t want to regret not aiming higher. 

Heresys fit the room, would go plenty loud enough (I typically listen around 85db when I can, otherwise 70ish) snd allow me to run a sub near the listening seat. By all accounts will work well for me. A big step up from my current speakers and on budget. Winning all around. Add the sexy black finish with the silvery/grey grills and yeah, IM GETTING EXCITED.

KHorns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwall I and current L,C,R CW IIIs, Chorus IIs, Forte II, Quartets, Heresy I & II and some other Klipsch things...if I were spending the money I would go CW IVs or Forte III but I have a bunch of open cubic feet, for yours I would spend your money on Forte IIIs