[NEW GUY ALERT] Tire Kicking: Cornwall IV & Heresy IV

21 minutes ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

It’s funny as I have yet to even consider the Forte III. I think the reason is that they’ve been out a while and by all accounts the Heresy and Cornwall’s newest incarnations are very much a step up. If the Forte IV was coming I’d probably look into that.

Of the three, the Fortes really were the first of the current "latest incarnation" round.  The latest two may include some magic learned in the mean time but are mostly just playing catch-up, I believe.

34 minutes ago, USNRET said:

KHorns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwall I and current L,C,R CW IIIs, Chorus IIs, Forte II, Quartets, Heresy I & II and some other Klipsch things...if I were spending the money I would go CW IVs or Forte III but I have a bunch of open cubic feet, for yours I would spend your money on Forte IIIs

Interesting. Tons of Forte love.

22 minutes ago, glens said:

Of the three, the Fortes really were the first of the current "latest incarnation" round.  The latest two may include some magic learned in the mean time but are mostly just playing catch-up, I believe.

Which makes total sense. I weirdly forget about the Fortes. 

Definitely along with @USRNET there’s much Forte love. I’ll look deeper into it. All I have is time right now.

I vote save your money and get the Cornwalls.....new!  Nothing like new, I've been buying used for a long time, but there is something special when you have scratched and saved for something shinny and new.  Yes, get a lot of your upstream equipment "used", you will save a ton, but speakers....nothing like new.  

You maybe in a small space now but what about a year, two years, five...ten?  They will move with you and you will cherish them until you buy the Pro Audio line...hahaha!

I've had Chorus II's, Forte II's and a crap load of hereseys's.  I think you can do no wrong with the new Cornwalls.  Others have already said they sound great in a small space.  I would rather buy big if I knew I wasn't going to spend the rest of my time in that small space. 

Try to buy once instead of twice!  This hobby sucks a loy of $$ out of you if you don't have a plan, but it's hard to figure out that plan unless you've experienced all the aspects of this hobby.  I've spent a lot of money in this hobby and I know others have spent more than me.

All I'm saying is if you buy the Cornwalls you are good for 20+ years....go the Heresey route as your mains and you will always wonder if you should have bought Cornwalls.

Just my opinion.....but my wife and kids doesn't listen to my anyway so what do I know?

My employees listen though.

3 hours ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

Almost exactly the stated sizEz

Ecufe8U.jpgPhoenix BTW.

Dood! That's a great space for Cornwalls! And with that brick wall between you and your neighbors you could experience some pretty decent Dee-Bee's without pissing them off. It's not just about volume, a bigger speaker can deliver a much bigger soundstage, more 3-dimensionality. Especially if you're buying new, make your speakers the best part of your system. Cornwall IV's will be the last speakers you will ever need.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Edgar said:

I listened to them all at the Bonehead class last October. Midrange and highs on the Cornwall IV are in a class all by themselves. 

Do you recall your general impression of the Forte III vs. the new Heresy?

So not to beat a sleeping horse, but I have another concern should I go Cornwall: my upstairs neighbor (who is an a$$h*le) and cares not how they blow me out with bass. But since I’m taking the high road, it seems to me that my current speakers (-6db at 50hz) aren’t going to rattle

anything but up near my ceiling bass does pool up. With a 15” driver and response down in the 30’s there’s going to be exponentially more bass pooling up there.  Yes?

what then? 

14 minutes ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

So not to beat a sleeping horse, but I have another concern should I go Cornwall: my upstairs neighbor (who is an a$$h*le) and cares not how they blow me out with bass. But since I’m taking the high road, it seems to me that my current speakers (-6db at 50hz) aren’t going to rattle

anything but up near my ceiling bass does pool up. With a 15” driver and response down in the 30’s there’s going to be exponentially more bass pooling up there.  Yes?

what then? 

By all means, introduce him to the Cornwall IV, by way of Nazareth... Changing Times...

Edited by billybob
Tell him what goes around...
  • Like 1

I feel like this: 

would eliminate ALL my neighbors. Forever. But alas, not a classy move.

Obviously I have time until ill be able to make a decision. I do have the money for Heresy IV’s now but due to all the uncertainty I’m waiting. Adulting sucks sometimes.

I was going to add that I also was considering adding a Schiit Loki between the pre and power amp to roll off the lows. The sub I’m running is fed directly from the pre so it would still do its thing. Seems like kind of a waste but then when I can move to someplace without vertical neighbors I can let them loose.

Edited by Moosh Bronsun
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

what then? 

Easy set your crossover on the mains at 50hz and utilize your sub-- the forte III would be far worse with the rear passive than the front ported Cornwall. Higher sensitivity and larger mid horn make the Cornwall IV an easy choice probably the best short of anything quite a bit larger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Easy set your crossover on the mains at 50hz and utilize your sub-- the forte III would be far worse with the rear passive than the front ported Cornwall. Higher sensitivity and larger mid horn make the Cornwall IV an easy choice probably the best short of anything quite a bit larger.

It’s an idea I’m kicking around. Part

of me thinks it’s brilliant and part of me thinks to just go H4’s and upgrade my sub so I can move on to replacing my phono-stage (the final piece of the puzzle).

Then let the future happen and figure out where to go from there.

After spending all morning looking at the Loki and viewing graphs for FR at SBAF it seems like it’s not going to work. I guess I thought it had the ability to adjust the Q and it doesn’t and the FR for any of the bands seems to be too broad to shelve off frequencies at and below 50-60HZ.

So I less there’s another way (maybe a capacitor between speaker wire and terminal?) I might have to concede failure on this idea.

Edited by Moosh Bronsun