[NEW GUY ALERT] Tire Kicking: Cornwall IV & Heresy IV

Would be a pretty costly capacitor.

On 4/11/2020 at 5:26 PM, jjptkd said:
On 4/11/2020 at 1:57 PM, Moosh Bronsun said:

anything but up near my ceiling bass does pool up. With a 15” driver and response down in the 30’s there’s going to be exponentially more bass pooling up there.  Yes?

what then? 

Easy set your crossover on the mains at 50hz and utilize your sub-- the forte III would be far worse with the rear passive than the front ported Cornwall. Higher sensitivity and larger mid horn make the Cornwall IV an easy choice probably the best short of anything quite a bit larger.

Worse how?  Assuming the same applies to the rear-ported Heresy...

In my experiences the rear passive or port firing at the back wall at volume will shake the rear wall considerably more than a front ported speaker assuming the front ported speaker is pulled away from the back wall at least a little bit, one of the nice things about a front ported speaker is most if not all of the energy is pointed and directed forward but of course it usually comes at a cost of at least slightly lower bass output.  

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

In my experiences the rear passive or port firing at the back wall at volume will shake the rear wall considerably more than a front ported speaker assuming the front ported speaker is pulled away from the back wall at least a little bit, one of the nice things about a front ported speaker is most if not all of the energy is pointed and directed forward but of course it usually comes at a cost of at least slightly lower bass output.  

At the frequency range/wavelengths  of operation of a bass port or passive radiator in these Klipsch models the acoustical output  polar response of them is omnidirectional as is the active woofer of the system in this frequency range is also and isn’t directed forward by them. 

miketn

As I’ve been living here 8 years (Wednesday) and could be here for many more to come I feel like Cornwall is a bad choice. I’d be, in essence, handicapping the speaker for what could be 10 more years. 

so I think I’ll stick with Heresy IV and then upgrade my sub to something better. This will allow me to then upgrade the final major piece and arrive at a destination.

I’d much rather buy records then hardware.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

At the frequency range/wavelengths  of operation of a bass port or passive radiator in these Klipsch models the acoustical output  polar response of them is omnidirectional as is the active woofer of the system in this frequency range is also and isn’t directed forward by them. 

miketn

I'm sorry I call bs on this maybe at low volumes but not with the volume cranked with speakers like Chorus  II's that move a lot of air I've compared Chorus 1's to Chorus II's several times in several houses / rooms and there is a big difference especially if you place the speakers with passives near corners it really loads the room quite differently than front ported. 

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

I'm sorry I call bs on this maybe at low volumes but not with the volume cranked with speakers like Chorus  II's that move a lot of air I've compared Chorus 1's to Chorus II's several times in several houses / rooms and there is a big difference especially if you place the speakers with passives near corners it really loads the room quite differently than front ported. 

You can call bs all you want but it doesn’t change the laws of physic.

Take any of these loudspeaker outside and play frequencies in the port tuned range and listen as you walk around the system.

miketn

15 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

You can call bs all you want but it doesn’t change the laws of physic.

Take any of these loudspeaker outside and play frequencies in the port tuned range and listen as you walk around the system.

miketn

Outside you're probably right but with reflection from the rear walls you're absolutely wrong sorry. 

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Outside you're probably right but with reflection from the rear walls you're absolutely wrong sorry. 

No need to be sorry cause what I stated is based on physics. 🙂

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

There is a significant difference in the low end response of the Chorus and Chorus ll and it isn’t because of the port or passive radiator position on the cabinet but due to the smoother and lower frequency extension of the Chorus ll versus the original Chorus as can be seen in the original spec sheets.

miketn

3B861ACE-88BD-4E63-8842-4033364AEB22.thumb.jpeg.3abf145ee03776e4405a0629a497cdb7.jpeg

65F77D02-CA7E-4776-9310-D8A5214BFC3A.thumb.jpeg.93fc3b07266a4d1088e050a393d5acd9.jpeg

0FD474A3-5386-415D-952A-1FF0B1F05F72.thumb.jpeg.07a2fc27c39657d4bb6ff785239b0ee4.jpeg

50CFCDF4-6486-4E34-B0F5-DBF698A9087B.thumb.jpeg.42c2fea4ec961ecba74bac7ada19798c.jpeg

So if what you're saying is true than distance from the back wall and positioning would have no impact on bass response for a rear ported speaker? I have too many years in this in personal experience to know this is not true I dont care what anyone says. 

4 hours ago, Moosh Bronsun said:

so I think I’ll stick with Heresy IV and then upgrade my sub to something better. This will allow me to then upgrade the final major piece and arrive at a destination.

I’d much rather buy records then hardware.

Hey, at half the price of the Cornwall IV I can't say that I blame you I'm sure they'll sound great.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

So if what you're saying is true than distance from the back wall and positioning would have no impact on bass response for a rear ported speaker? I have too many years in this in personal experience to know this is not true I dont care what anyone says. 

I thought what he was saying is simply that if you look at the specs, with all things being equal (because the I and the II were tested in the same chamber, in the same way) the II goes lower and flatter. Placement has nothing to do with the specs.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Well, I feel the only tangible difference between rear-ported (or droned) and any other configuration, in terms of referencing the wall behind, is when the cabinet is so close to that wall that the port tuning becomes effectively altered.  Until that point the same phenomena occur regardless cabinet configuration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glens said:

Well, I feel the only tangible difference between rear-ported (or droned) and any other configuration, in terms of referencing the wall behind, is when the cabinet is so close to that wall that the port tuning becomes effectively altered.  Until that point the same phenomena occur regardless cabinet configuration.

Theory with physics though rear porting does load the room differently than front porting and as you said, the distance from the rear wall will alter the amount of bass at tuning frequency vs front porting.  That in itself will change the response and perceived tuning of the speaker since we don't live in chambers.  I do know that I have mostly rear ported or droned speakers and they do seem to aggravate the rear wall substantially more than front ported.  Sometimes this is nice since it sounds more like the way a set of k-horns load the room, if positioned correctly.  Metal studs sandwiched with sheetrock need not apply.

11 hours ago, geoff. said:

To the OP, 

There is a phenomenon with larger, more efficient speakers.

You become engaged in the music at MUCH lower listening levels.

No doubt (hence looking at Cornwalls) but also not blasting my upstairs neighbors into orbit is good too. I feel like I would have to handicap the speaker to work for me in my current place and I could be here another 8 years. Who knows.