Atmos / DTS:X Theater Speaker Recommendations?

jfk23

Put a giant concrete walled theater room in my basement when I built my house 10 years ago that has sat as an empty shell since then. All this staying at home has me looking for some projects, so I figured it was time to start building things out. The room is 217" side to side, 349" front to back, and 132" tall on the screen side / 90" tall in the back with two 21" stadium steps along the way (see attached - all layout is done from a seated position in the red box). The concrete walls are furred out with 2" metal studs, with 5/8" drywall on top. The concrete ceiling has a barrel arch (low points on the sides) with about a 14" spring line, made from 2" steel studs and 5/8" drywall. We will be building wood columns at each of the stadium steps and filling the space between with acoustic panels (on top of the drywall). Currently leaning towards the Denon AVR-X8500H (13.2) channel) that supports both Atmos and DTS:X, but really hoping they release the X8600H before I get around to actually buying the receiver. That said, I want to put in wiring and speakers for both Atmos and DTS:X, so that I won't be ripping up walls in the future.

After going through way too many Dolby and DTS specifications and guides, as well as the Denon manual, I've landed at the following placements:

• Middle of Screen Elevation Speakers
    • C - center of screen (behind AT screen)
    • FL/FR - 16" inside front corners on screen wall (behind AT screen)
    • FWL/FWR - 27" forward of second stadium step
    • SL/SR - 21.25" forward of first stadium drop
    • SBL/SBR - 2ft towards screen off the back wall corner
    • SB - center of screen on back wall
  • Height Speakers
    • CH - center of screen, in front soffit above screen
    • FHL/FHR - 16" inside front corners on screen wall, in face of front soffit above screen
    • TFL/TFR - in ceiling, 54-3/16" off side walls, 60" from front soffit
    • TML/TMR - in ceiling, 54-3/16" off side walls, 21.25" forward of first stadium step - align with TS
    • TRL/TRR - in ceiling, 54-3/16" off side walls, 79-5/8" from back wall
    • TS - in ceiling, center of room, 21.25" forward of first stadium step
    • SHL/SHR - directly above SBL/SBR, on wall at ceiling
    • RHL/RHR - 16" inside back corners on wall opposite of screen (align to FL/FR), in face of rear soffit

Ok, so now that the speaker placement is defined, I need to pick speakers. There are 24 speakers and 2 subwoofers. This is where I could really use the community's help, as I'm stuck at the following:

• 1 behind screen center (C)
    • RC-64 III or RP-504C or RP-450CA?
  • 2 behind screen front speakers (FL/FR)
    • RP-600M or R-5650-W?
  • 6 wall hang (or shelf) speakers (FWL/FWR/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
    • RP-502S or RP-600M?
  • 1 wall hang (or shelf) (SB)
    • RP-600C or RP500SA?
  • 1 high center (CH)
    • RP-600C or RP500SA?
  • 4 wall hang (or shelf) speakers (FHL/FHR/RHL/RHR)
    • RP-500SA
  • 7 in ceiling speakers (TFL/TFR/TML/TMR/TRL/TRR/TS)
    • CDT-5800-C II
  • 2 wall hang (or shelf) (SHL/SHR)
    • RP-500SA
  • 2 subwoofers
    • R-115SW

I need help with the ones in red, but also feel free to tell me if I went wrong on any of the last 4 choices not in red. The R-5650-W is out for the side walls, as it is 3.75" deep and our wall assembly will only come out to about 3.25" unless we artificially extend that - which doesn't seem worth it for in-wall when we can do on-wall. For the front wall it is fine.

On the RP-502S, I like the specs, but the wide dispersion makes me uncomfortable for spatial audio formats like Atmos and DTS:X.

Additionally, we will have 3 columns on either side, so we can place the FWL/FWR/SL/SR/SBL/SBR inside the columns if we go with shelf, or even in walls (like the R-5650-W).

Theater.jpg

Thanks Bill, I will read Alex's blog post from 2016 of Michael Stevens forum posts (as I assume that is what you were pointing me at with the image). The La Scalas are a bit bigger than I wanted, but I will look in to them further for LCR - although probably way more $ than I want to spend, haha.

Edited by jfk23

16 minutes ago, jfk23 said:

Michael Stevens forum posts (as I assume that is what you were pointing me at with the image).

Yes I am.  His rig looks even more impressive in person and louder of course.:lol:

18 minutes ago, jfk23 said:

The La Scalas are a bit bigger than I wanted, but I will look in to them further for LCR - although probably way more $ than I want to spend, haha.

Are triple floorstanders like the RP-8000F's a possibility?

Bill

RP-8000F is much more in my price range. Would you only use those for L/R, or also for C rather than a RC-64 III for the C?

I don't mind moving the screen 1-2ft out to put speakers behind it, but the screen is 200" wide, and 112.5" tall (83.7" tall in anamorphic), so the only trick with floor stands is getting them up to the middle of the screen (vertically). That said, a 40-60" tall platform is doable.

57 minutes ago, jfk23 said:

RP-8000F is much more in my price range. Would you only use those for L/R, or also for C rather than a RC-64 III for the C?

2 hours ago, willland said:

Are triple floorstanders like the RP-8000F's a possibility?

Triplets are better than twins.:P

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 2:56 PM, jfk23 said:

Last bump before I give up... Any opinions for FWL/FWR/SL/SR/SBL/SBR, SB, or CH?

In my 9.2.4 I run RP-600m as FWL and FWR that goes with RP-250s (you can get the new 502s) as the 4 surrounds. They’d go well with RP LCR.  You’d want direct for FW and either wall mount Direct or the RP surrounds for side and rear.  Depends on how close your seating is and if you like a more flush mount or not.

As for sub, you don’t have to go with Klipsch and lots of good choices out there from SVS, PSA etc.  Suggest to look for 2 sub for more optimized bass across the different seating.

Edited by Univek
  • Like 3