Might I want the mumps?

Finding out that the forte III mid horn is a drop-in to my klf-30's (and 20's) I wonder how much difference may a mumps version of a given horn make. I guess what I am really after is what does the mumps do to improve a regular horn counter part?.

You are under the impression that it is a "drop in" replacement for the KLF 30. Life is seldom that simple. One difference is the the Mumps horn is CD (controlled dispersion where the on-axis and off-axis frequency response is comparable). This has a big effect on the sound quality (usually an improvement in my opinion, if it is done correctly).

However the new horn (and perhaps driver) will probably necessitate a change in the crossover. Is this something you would be comfortable doing? Is there someone out there with the competence and experience who has done this before? It is infrequent that simply swapping parts will bring about an improvement. It usually requires a system design approach, IMHO. Yes, I know that is not always a popular opinion on audio forums. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

You are under the impression that it is a "drop in" replacement for the KLF 30. Life is seldom that simple. One difference is the the Mumps horn is CD (controlled dispersion where the on-axis and off-axis frequency response is comparable). This has a big effect on the sound quality (usually an improvement in my opinion, if it is done correctly).

However the new horn (and perhaps driver) will probably necessitate a change in the crossover. Is this something you would be comfortable doing? Is there someone out there with the competence and experience who has done this before? It is infrequent that simply swapping parts will bring about an improvement. It usually requires a system design approach, IMHO. Yes, I know that is not always a popular opinion on audio forums. 

Good luck,

-Tom

There are others that are considering the same kind of change over for different Klipsch models. So it would be safe to say that this would also apply to any of the other updated horns with mumps.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:54 PM, PrestonTom said:

Good luck,

-Tom

To answer one of your questions of being willing to make changes to the xo. The answer would be yes if I find out what needs to be changed .

Waiting on a calibrated mic and to be used with REW to first measure the klf-30's in the original stock config, then re-introduce the a55g then finally the forte III horn with and without the a55g if they are available (and not too pricey)

What is the crossover point from woofer to squawker in a KLF-30?  Mumphs are intended to maintain dispersion at the lower end of the horn's frequency range.  If the KLF crosses too high, there won't be any difference. 

14 minutes ago, JohnA said:

What is the crossover point from woofer to squawker in a KLF-30?  Mumphs are intended to maintain dispersion at the lower end of the horn's frequency range.  If the KLF crosses too high, there won't be any difference. 

I believe it is 825Hz

On 4/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, JohnA said:

Is this the only benefit of mumps?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

I'm using the original A55G midrange drivers in the forte III horns in my Chorus II speakers.

I read that three times and I’m still not quite sure of what you’re doing.

People are also using it in the KLF 20 and 30 which I don’t really understand either.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 3:15 PM, Deang said:

I read that three times and I’m still not quite sure of what you’re doing.

People are also using it in the KLF 20 and 30 which I don’t really understand either.  

You can see the picture @jjptkd posted. That is my speaker. I designed and 3D printed some brackets to have the forte III horn fit in the chorus II. Since the horn has the driver screw into it, I was able to use the A55G drivers in these. I checked with Bob Crites beforehand to make sure it was safe to do so. It sounds great. I got lucky and ordered the horns before Klipsch required serial numbers to order parts.

• Like 1