Thtlp build thread

-Russian-Spy-

2 minutes ago, Randyh said:

looks really good

Thanks! It's my first build, and I definitely made a few mistakes along the way. I'm still a few steps away from being able to fire it up, along with sanding and finishing, so it may be a little while before it makes it inside.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2020 at 11:59 PM, -Russian-Spy- said:

Thanks! It's my first build, and I definitely made a few mistakes along the way. I'm still a few steps away from being able to fire it up, along with sanding and finishing, so it may be a little while before it makes it inside.

Every build has uh os.  That's how you learn.  Looks great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Every build has uh os.  That's how you learn.  Looks great.

Thanks!  I ended up bowing the first panel out a bit when I installed the braces, squeezed em in a bit to far, this pushed the first panel about 1/2 inch out and didn't notice until I was lining up the top.  I put in more bracing than what was recommended, but I managed to clamp everything together  really really tight to get it close enough.  I also managed to get some twisting throughout the length of the cab, so getting the last panel was a bit nerve racking.  

Anyone have much experience with using danish oil?  I'm planning on using one or two coats of dark walnut depending on how dark the first comes out, then doing a few coats of natural to bring out the grain a bit.  I've never stained anything before, so I'm not expecting perfect results, just looking to have something that matches my la scalas, which are stained pretty dark (they look great across the room, but you can see the issues when up close.)

20200405_170627.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking build. I just finished a Table Tuba, that I started back in February. I almost wish I’d gone with the THTLP. Then, I see the number of braces in your project and I think, maybe not. I really like the look of the danish oil. I too, am trying to match the TT to my La Scalas which are Raw Birch finished with Tung Oil. What Driver and amp do you plan to use? 

4 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Nice looking build. I just finished a Table Tuba, that I started back in February. I almost wish I’d gone with the THTLP. Then, I see the number of braces in your project and I think, maybe not. I really like the look of the danish oil. I too, am trying to match the TT to my La Scalas which are Raw Birch finished with Tung Oil. What Driver and amp do you plan to use? 

That's about when I started mine too, your build turned out excellent  by the way! I would think most tht builds wouldn't have as many braces as mine do, I missed the memo about installing them no more than 8 inches apart.  So I went overkill and installed extras throughout the cabinet.  I built to 24" they recommend 2 sets, and I went with 3 like the 36".  I'm up in the air on amplification at the moment, I have a Dayton plate amp that I bought for the project along with the 390-hf4 15" (I think that's the recomend driver, I'd have to check the box/plans), but also ended up picking up a DC one dsp and a few multi channel sherbourn amps.  

• Like 1