Thtlp build thread

-Russian-Spy-

1 hour ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

Anyone know what kind of screws are used for the hatch door?  Maybe I should double check the plans throughly but i believe it just said screws without specifics.  

I've used T-nuts with good results.

3 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

Started with the stain, a little blotchy, but I really like the color so far! 

20200406_162822.jpg

I find Baltic Birch difficult to stain evenly, and to get the color I want. I think that’s why I often use Tung Oil, it darkens as it ages, it just takes a while. Yours is looking good.

I must say I’m glad I don’t have to move that beast into the house. Any idea how much it’ll weigh when finished?

21 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

I find Baltic Birch difficult to stain evenly, and to get the color I want. I think that’s why I often use Tung Oil, it darkens as it ages, it just takes a while. Yours is looking good.

I must say I’m glad I don’t have to move that beast into the house. Any idea how much it’ll weigh when finished?

I'm not 100% sure on weight, but I believe I used around 2.5 sheets of 1/2" birch ply, so in the neighborhood of 100lb without the driver (according to a quick Google search on birch weight)  just got the braces installed and 3/4th of the cabinet stained.  I went with natural danish for the mouth braces, to give some contrast to the rest of the cab.

20200407_184536.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

I'm not 100% sure on weight, but I believe I used around 2.5 sheets of 1/2" birch ply, so in the neighborhood of 100lb without the driver (according to a quick Google search on birch weight)  just got the braces installed and 3/4th of the cabinet stained.  I went with natural danish for the mouth braces, to give some contrast to the rest of the...

Looks really good. Not quite as heavy as I’d expected, but still not something you wanna move too often. Waiting to see how things shake out. Good luck with the next stages. 

22 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Looks good. You are in the home stretch. When do you expect to finish up and bring the thunder? 

Just finished everything up today, sounding good so far, I have only tested in the carport so far.  Havent brought it inside yet, will report back in a few days when it's settled in

• Like 2

Well, I've been listening for the last day or so in the carport and so far I am impressed!  Here's a photo in testing, still needs a coat or two of oil before the official meet and greet with the la scalas. So far deep, punchy, effortless bass coming out of the cabinet, in an environment that is one step away from being outside. 

20200411_133137.jpg

• Like 4