KG 3.5 K-1002-K Replacement?

fwphoto

One of my Kg 3.5s is really distorting the low, low frequencies in my HT setup. Otherwise it still generally sounds OK. No distortion in the other speaker.

Haven't pulled it apart yet but, from the front only, the K-1002-K woofer(?) looks undamaged. I am running a R-100SW sub & R52-C with the KG 3.5s. Haven't settled on rear speakers yet. Might actually end up getting something different for the fronts & putting the KGs in the rear, but either way want to get the KGs working properly.

I am considering a crossover rebuild (Crites) but want to deal with the K-1002-K issue first. I've done a few searches & haven't found a source for the OEM speakers (no surprise) & will probably post a WTB in the Garage Sale forum, but do see replacement copies from MA Audio for about $65/each. 

Anyone have experience with the MW Audio MW-5082 8" replacement speakers? I imagine if I swap out one I should replace both? 

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing rebuilding KG 3.5s, but I thought I'd post my experience in doing so anyway.

I ended up replacing both K-1002-K woofers with 8 Ohm Dayton Audio RS225P-8A 8" Reference Paper Woofers @ about $65/ea. from Parts Express. They are not "drop-in." I had to enlarge the holes in the speaker cabinets (a real PITA!) & put bigger push-on connectors on the speaker wires to match the spades on the new speakers. The new speakers have 6 screw holes & the originals only had 4 so I ended up drilling new holes as well. That said, the new woofers sound very good in comparison to the 25 year old OEM ones.

Since the KG 3.5s are the fronts in a HT setup I decided to swap out the phenolic tweeter diaphragms for Crites titaniums. I figured it might give the high end a bit more clarity & that might help with cleaning up the dialog a bit. I had done this with my Fortes long ago & liked the mod with them. These diaphragms are definitely drop-in & took me about 20 careful minutes to make the replacements. As expected, they did brighten up the top end & indeed have helped to make the dialog in movies easier to understand.

I considered doing something with the crossovers & may someday, but for now, the mods have really breathed new life into these nice older speakers. Even the wife thinks they sound much better & have really improved our viewing pleasure! 🙂

Take care,

Frank

Had you run a frequency sweep on your speakers before you started?  Sometimes that can help narrow down problems.  There's a few good ones on YouTube if you have that capability in your H/T setup.   

My standard advice applies; dont feed ported speakers any frequencies below their design low cut-off point.  Run a sub and use a crossover to the mains.

Currently, I am running a 3.5 HT system with a sub. Haven't decided on rear speakers yet. I'm using a Marantz NR 1509 & finished the setup with Audyssey. 

So, how would I run a crossover between speakers? I haven't fine-tuned the sub beyond the Audyssey settings but I think it's set around 80Hz.  

Frank

• 2 years later...

Would like to follow-up in your kg-3.5 speakers replacement and how are you liking it? I notice that the input sensitivity is slightly lower than the original woofers. I;m planning to change min for it seems like it has a very mild harshness on the left side.  Maybe I need to do a crossover rebuilt first to freshen up the circuit inside its over 30 years old now.

I love horns but regardless what speakers, i will have to add an Lpad controller to manually balance the frequency on the fly with your fingertips.

Please send me a feedback and thanks, CCG 😺

• 9 months later...

so I have a pair of the Klipsch 3.5s in Black or what they have down as satin, and one of my horns finally died on me. I'm looking for replacement tweeters for it, but I'm intrigued by your comment of the Lpad controller, what is that attached to? Also, any suggestions of where a Canadian could purchase some tweeters would be appreciated.

You can find the tweeters on eBay right now. I'm certain they come up for sale often.

As to the L-pad controller; it is just a volume control. It would  be connected to the

crossover output to the tweeter. But that would require you to drill a hole in the cabinet

for the L-pad to have wiring access, and to mount the L-pad, which would probably be

mounted on the rear of the cabinet.

I'm not sure why you would want to adjust the tweeter level. If it's to protect the tweeter

from future failure, I'd suggest fusing the tweeter output from the crossover instead.

You'd be better off using an equalizer to adjust the tweeter level. Simpler and just as

effective.