Capacitors - How they work

mboxler

If you are like me, you understand what capacitors are doing in a crossover, but may not know how they are doing it.  I attached two videos that helped me.

The first describes the capacitor itself.  It helped me understand how an open circuit (the capacitor) can allow current to flow.

The second places a capacitor in an AC circuit.  It describes inductor as well, but that's another topic.  If you replace the resistor with a speaker driver, or taps 0 - 5 in a heritage crossover, you will see why the current flows through them 90 degrees before the voltage across the capacitor changes.  You will also see why more current flows at higher frequencies.

I realize this is 20 minutes of your life that you will never get back, but I hope you find them educational.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MZNsEqyQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7RZZW0wSQ&list=PLkyBCj4JhHt-4PnnwpbG-ZKV_EjX03DX8&index=15

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

ELI the ICE man was what my instructor told us

Voltage leads current in an indicator (L)

Current leads voltage in a capacitor (C)

I prefer the unconventional use of "V" for voltage in the scheme of using the word "CIVIL" to remember the relationship.

• 1 month later...

Won't  approve your post unless you remove the link. Can't see what it point to and we don't approve first posts with links unless we can read clearly what they point to. To  dangerous to follow them. Once your first post is approved, review the Terms of Service and then repost the link if you are certain it meets the TOS and you are in no way connected with it.

Regards,

Dave