Finally Analog here in the high desert

The Virus won't get you there!  Is that near Joshua Tree National Monument or 29 Palms?  A friend and I made a short film there when we were in our freshperson year in college.  Great rock formations and friendly lizards.

Wow, is that a Metregon?  What drivers?  How does it compare with any Klipsch you have (had)?

I had a TD125 with SME and Ortophon moving coil (the one coded "light," because the transformer -- or ss amp for moving coil -- was separate so as not to make the shell heavy).  Probably the best sound I've ever had.

• Like 2

i

12 hours ago, garyrc said:

Wow, is that a Metregon?  What drivers?  How does it compare with any Klipsch you have (had)?

I always wanted a Metregon from the time I saw one in person at Henry Radio in the 60’s. I finally got this one from a Craigslist ad about 2 years ago - the son of the original owner was moving and was selling it.  It a 3- way system with 130A woofers,  175 midrange drivers with cast horns and 075 bullet tweeters.

I still have my Cornwalls in my main system and I use Heresys for a 2-channel TV setup.

The Metregon is a beautiful object and sounds great but the Cornwalls rule. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, garymd said:

Hey Allan.  Glad you finally have something to play all those crappy records on!

Indeed!  Riding it out. Had to close and lay off 53 people on March 19- hardest day of my professional life. We high tailed it to our desert enclave and haven’t left except for one trip to the supermarket. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Allan Songer said:

Had to close and lay off 53 people on March 19- hardest day of my professional life.

You went through a bit of that before with the movie industry slowdown if I remember correctly. This had to be very difficult.

Sorry to hear about your business Allan.

That 's a sweet setup.  One suggestion. Down the road upgrade to a Hana EL for a cart. I've had three itinerations of the Denon 103 and the Hana slays them.

I ended up with this TD-125 after providing all of the audio equipment for the last Tarantino film “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.”  Everything had to work and be absolutely period correct. I ended up with two very early TD-125 tables while purchasing and refurbishing all of the gear. I put the best parts of the two tables together for the scene in Jay Sebring’s house - a scene that was cut from the final edit!! Anyway, I took the parts left over and built this TD-125 for my desert system. I had the FR arm in box from WAY back, but no headshell. So I made a mounting board and bought the Ikeda headshell off of ebay (Ikeda was the designer of the FR arms back in the 70’s).  I already had the 103 and the step up so I used them. 

It’s a cobbled together rig for sure but DAMN it sure is sweet!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Allan Songer said:

I ended up with this TD-125 after providing all of the audio equipment for the last Tarantino film “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.”

Very cool, I love that move. I remember talking to you a lot about your business a million years ago when you, Gary and I went to Smoke in NYC and latter caught Jimmy McGriff at the Lenox Lounge. Aren't a lot of the props from movies just leased/loaned from you? I'd love to hear more about the Q.T. movie. Watching the bonus features form DVD I gather he is an insane stickler for details. Sourcing and fixing the gear to make sure it worked not just sit there looking pretty is a nice touch. Did the studio keep the gear or is that now just more inventory for your biz.

Nice to see you posting some. I recently bought the Tone Poet Blue Note reissue of  you Avatar. Baby Face has some chops. Its been in heavy rotation last 5-6 months.

Stay safe up there!

Yep - I ended up with all the audio gear. It wasn’t all high end but there are some cool  pieces - there’s a CHERRY Marantz 18 receiver in the Rick Baldwin house (Leo DiCaprio) that there is a tight close up of in the final scene- that system also has a pretty much brand new condition  AR table and a wild pair of Altec speakers in custom cabinets with 1967 dates on them. Also a 1968 Sony reel to reel. 

The Jay Sebring stuff was the best - all Mcintosh with the thorens and if I remember right Frazier speakers.  

And everything had to work so I had to go to every set either on location or at Raleigh studios and dial everything in because QT would flip on every system and put on a record when he walked on set.  He did allow for modern cartridges because of availability. 

I was most disappointed when they cut the scene at Al Pacino’s house because of budget - i was going to use my Metregon there!

EDIT:

I guess Sharon Tate had the Frazier bookshelf speakers!!  Jay Sebring had AR speakers with the linen grille cloths.

BA8B6C36-4A6A-4507-85AE-995DFC3AAA81.jpeg

• Like 2