Do I need an amplifier?

Terriss

Hello Klipsch gurus.

I am on the cusp of moving from a dinky apartment to a real true house-home and in a stroke of both very fortunate and painful timing, my old out-of-the-box RCA surround sound system has decided to bite the big one.

I've been wanting to upgrade to something capable of Dolby Atmos, and something with quite a bit more sound fidelity and power for a little while, so I am taking this opportunity to upgrade my set up.

I've decided on a Yamaha RX-A3080 as a receiver, and essentially this home theater set up:  https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-8060fa-7-2-4-dolby-atmos-home-theater-system

I am undecided on whether or not I want a set of the tall floor standing speakers for the rear, as I will not have a whole lot of "backward room" behind the couch to get the most out of them.  I'm thinking on using either another pair of RP-600M or a pair of RP-502S.

My big question is, does my chosen receiver have enough power to drive this speaker set up, or do I need an external amplifier?  If I do need an external amplifier, what would be a good choice?

Mucho thanks in advance.
~Terriss

Edited by Terriss

Welcome to the Forum, Terriss!

Your receiver should have enough power to get you started just fine, and it has a very good DAC in it.  As for being hesitant about getting floorstanding speakers for behind the sofa, keep in mind that stand mounted speakers have the same size footprints as floorstanding speakers, but without their sensitivity and bass capabilities.

As for me, I have a pair of La Scalas (on 13” platforms) on either side of me, and a Heresy III directly behind me, for a 6.1 system.  This is in an 18 x 19-foot room, and the TV is still 11 feet away, with lots of free space in front of it.  It can be done!

While it’s tempting to try to buy the ultimate system right away, you don’t yet know all you will after a year on the Forum, and upgrading is half the fun.  I started out with a pair of used 32-year-old La Scalas and a used $150 receiver, and the system has grown as I have learned.  You can see it listed just below, and it now contains things I’d never heard of at first, like the Electro-Voice Dx38 speaker processor/active electronic crossover.

Get your system, and while you’re enjoying it and hopefully learning from and participating in the Forum, you’ll see if you’ve arrived at a system that’s ultimate for you, or whether you’ll start wondering about bigger speakers, and everything that goes with them.  Tip:  most of the Pro Theater speakers are only 24” deep, and will fit through normal home doorways.  <wink>

As for your question about getting an external power amplifier, there are many varieties.  Do you want Class AB, Class D, 2-channel, 7-channel, 11-channel?  I didn’t get one for the first two years, then I got one.  Then I learned about bi-amping, and I bought a second one, along with lots of money for the things it was needed for.  Not so simple, right?  As I said in the first sentence, your receiver is just fine.  It’s the top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver, and is far above what most people start out with.  You could be happy with it for years.  Happy listening!

• Like 1

@Terriss,

Welcome to the forum.

Considering we do not know what your future room size will be, your Yamaha should be plenty of power to do the job under normal conditions.  With that said, I am a huge proponent for outboard amplification, whether for only 2 channels, LCR, or 5 or more.  Also, quality power is cheap if you are willing to look around on the used market.

4 hours ago, Islander said:

As I said in the first sentence, your receiver is just fine.  It’s the top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver, and is far above what most people start out with.  You could be happy with it for years.  Happy listening!

Give it a whirl when you get all settled in your new place and listen for yourself.  Then borrow a stereo or multichannel amp from a friend and take it for a test drive.

Bill