Height Front or Top Front for Atmos?

winsonlim

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade me 7.1 to a 7.1.4. And I am contemplating between these 2 config. I had measured the degrees to what it will be if mounted to my front wall or ceiling.

I understand this boils down to preference, but what do you guys prefer?

Top fronts?

1528703056_topfronts.jpg.149e9574ede5bd0dba3639cf8bf6abff.jpg

or Front heights?

509586278_frontheights.jpg.7fefa33445648a4301e36635ddb97c36.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just hang my speakers up. Depends on the primarily on your room, speakers, and construction. I personally like full range speakers in their original boxes, and not compromised speaker components placed in-wall or in-ceiling configurations. Probably get the green light from the wife if they are in-ceiling though.

To answer your question directly, wider angles and greater distances will benefit the height channels.

20190707_191437-3830x2154.jpg

IMG_6281.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 5:03 AM, winsonlim said:

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade me 7.1 to a 7.1.4. And I am contemplating between these 2 config. I had measured the degrees to what it will be if mounted to my front wall or ceiling.

I understand this boils down to preference, but what do you guys prefer?

Top fronts?

1528703056_topfronts.jpg.149e9574ede5bd0dba3639cf8bf6abff.jpg

or Front heights?

509586278_frontheights.jpg.7fefa33445648a4301e36635ddb97c36.jpg

I'm in a very similar situation myself with almost the same exact angles as you. I have the klipsch rp-500sa speakers and have been wondering the same. I have been thinking of actually mounting the 500sa speakers upside down on the ceiling, as in having the rubber feet on the roof. I have to move my ceiling fan 2ft to get the perfect 45 degrees tho. I don't want to cut 5 holes in my ceiling, 4 for speakers and 1 to move the fan, so I'm considering the 2 fronts up high and the 2 back mounted to the ceiling, or all 4 set up as height speakers for atmos. 

3 hours ago, winsonlim said:

Indeed the ceiling fan. We are in the same dilemma!

I am going to attempt to move my ceiling fan this weekend. It will be centered between the 2 front ceiling mounted speakers. I am actually mounting 4 klipsch 500sa speakers upside down with the angle pointing toward the mlp. Doing it this way with moving the fan will get me really close to the 45 degrees Dolby recommends. I'll have to post updates and pictures, and performance when it's all done. 

• 9 months later...

If you were to go with the Front Height rather than the Top Front, how would you designate those speakers with your AVR? Would you set your Front Heights as Heights or as Tops?

I've got a similar situation with Rear Heights, too and am wondering whether I should designate my Front & Rear Heights as Heights or as tops. Given my short room - 12'6" from screen to back wall with MLP 2' away from back wall - the Heights seems like they could be designated as Tops rather than Heights and I'm wondering whether that in a 5.1.4 system would create a better or worse sound bubble for Atmos and DTS-X.