Grill for the rear passive radiator (Quartet/Forte/Chorus))

I like my modified Chorus 1's so much, I recently picked up a mint set of Quartets (Chorus's little brother) so I can set up a music room for my Dad. The rear passive radiators are both perfect, but I was worried they wouldn't stay that way forever... After alot of thinking, here's my "fix" :

• Ordered a set of metal car audio subwoofer grills from Amazon.
  • 2 packs of small neodymium disc magnets from Ace Hardware.
  • A pair of knockoff (IE:fake) Klipsch pie logos from ebay

I think they look awesome, I even like em better than before! The cool thing is the magnets are just stuck to the passive frames & the grills are then stuck to the magnets. They grills came with a piece of rubber/trim which helps them not grab the magnet too tight for easy removal (neodymium magnets are CRAZY strong) The Quartet's have a 12" passive & I checked specs on quite a few grills before I found a pair that were just right & fit the factory cutout EXACTLY. They really look like they were made that way 😃. The same concept would work for Forte's & Chorus II's if you used 15" grills.

20200405_154214_resized - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Looks pretty good to me.

What in particular are you protecting from?

Grand-kids, & their friends 🤪 I've seen MANY pushed in center dustcones on all three models (Quartet/Forte/Chorus II) Once they're pushed in it's VERY hard to undo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Enjoy your Quartets!

I/He will ! & since I will re-inherit them someday (my Dad is 82) I'm doing them like I want em before setting them up for him. I just sent the crossovers to Mr. Crites for a recap, & I will be internally bracing them like I did my Chorus 1's. ( 🤣 Probably post another thread over in "Technical/modifications" when I get everything done)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

If you really think that they need it.

Have my doubts about it.

Cool

Maybe they don't need it since they're a little smaller, but bracing made a big difference in my Chorus 1's. It'll only take me a few hours & we all have time to spare right now 😂 Plus, I wanted to rotate the woofer 180 & redo the gaskets/seals for the woofer & passive so I might as well brace em while I'm in there...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, dsb said:

I assume that this passive radiator grill did not negatively impact the sound, correct?

Nope, didn't change it any because they're made for car subwoofers & are designed to not block the bass. I also specifically chose the neodymium magnets (not regular magnets) to hold em on super tight w/o rattles. I considered velcro, but I like the fact that the magnets aren't really attached to either surface (IE: grill or passive frame) so they can be removed in about 2 minutes by pulling those strong lil suckers off 😄

IF you chose to try it yourself, make sure you buy metal grills, not plastic so the magnets stick. These are the ones I used, & fit the Quartet & Forte 1's EXACTLY. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083R3RBG1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have Forte II's or Chorus II, you would need something similar, but in 15" size

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, huskerdooo said:

Also, it looks like the grills in the provided link might have changed? Reviews say the ring is plastic.

The grill is definately steel, but it does have a thin flexible rubber "gasket" on it (I think to help it seal/sit flush). The STRONG neodymium magnets I used stuck to it w/o a problem. 

• Like 1