Need help finding a good receiver

I am new to the whole audio community, and am currently looking to get a receiver to complete my stereo system. I read here that under-powering Klipsch speakers will damage them. So do I try to find a receiver who's watts per channel are the same as the speaker or higher? Here is my current speaker system.

2 S5-5BK as the rear. 50W output with 8-ohm impedance.

1 SC1 as the center. 100W output with 8-ohm impedance.

2 SF1 as the main. 100W output with 8-ohm impedance.

1 RW12BK subwoofer. 120V I think 240W?

Thank you very much for any help, sorry I am fairly new to audio equipment.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, aaronthegreat said:

I am new to the whole audio community, and am currently looking to get a receiver to complete my /stereo/ theater system. I read here that under-powering Klipsch speakers will damage them. So do I try to find a receiver who's watts per channel are the same as the speaker or higher? Here is my current speaker system.

2 S5-5BK as the rear. 50W output with 8-ohm impedance.

1 SC1 as the center. 100W output with 8-ohm impedance.

2 SF1 as the main. 100W output with 8-ohm impedance.

1 RW12BK subwoofer. 120V I think 240W?

Thank you very much for any help, sorry I am fairly new to audio equipment.

No, you turn the volume control Down at the first hint of distress, brittle sound or distortion regardless of the receiver's power output.  This applies to ALL speakers, not just Klipsch.   

Buy all the quality you can stand.  A home theater receiver worth having is not cheap.  Look at Sony ES, Marantz,  better Yamahas, Integra and good Denons.  Accessories4less often has good prices on B-stock and refurbs.  The power you need depends on your room size.  But, because of the inability of home theater receivers to deliver rated power to all channels at once, start you search at 100 watts and higher. 

Personally, I'd have NAD at the top of the list given in the previous post, and recommend the brand very highly.  There's some overlap in those other mentioned brands as the "parent" company is the same for some.  Sometimes when a company gets bought their product line remains unfettered.  Sometimes it becomes just a name of old that doesn't mean the same anymore.  Not saying that's the case in any of the other mentioned brands because I don't know.  NAD amplification is all I've ever bought over the past 40 years.