ak4 crossovers

H-D Rider,

I am intrigued as to why you want an AK4 crossover. These days it is more cost effective to go active with an Xilica rather than the cost of the components for a network like the AK4.

You don't mention what your current network is or the environment, listening levels and drivers. Have you swapped tweeters or mid horns and drivers ?

18 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

H-D Rider,

I am intrigued as to why you want an AK4 crossover. These days it is more cost effective to go active with an Xilica rather than the cost of the components for a network like the AK4.

You don't mention what your current network is or the environment, listening levels and drivers. Have you swapped tweeters or mid horns and drivers ?

Bone stock 1993 K - Horns . Near field - low volume . Room is 10x14 .

A forum member suggested I go to the ak-4 `s .  Another suggested  AA`s Which is really The way I think I`am going , Better suited for my type of listening .

I don`t have the Technical chops to go active - nor do I want the hassle . More of a plug and play guy with audio . Not to say I don`t mod or hot rod my stuff .

I have a pair of Highly modded belles That I love and they sound Great .  Thank`s for the Help and input .

On 4/10/2020 at 7:07 AM, H-D Rider said:

Bone stock 1993 K - Horns . Near field - low volume . Room is 10x14 .

Well, I believe you will have AK-3 crossovers with no terminal strip and Monster Cable internal wiring.

I suggest you either re-cap the AK-3 or build an AA.

To tart up the AK-3 :
1. re-cap the AK-3 (the little black 2uf caps on my AK-3 had drifted and had high ESR) with a kit from Bob Crites.
2. check the Monster Cable, mine had gone a klerpy green color and the clear plastic was sticky, replace if you think it is necessary. 2.5mm (14awg) clear cable will do with spade lugs for the speaker ends and fork spade lugs for the terminal block at the other end
3. add a terminal strip to the AK-3  like in Deang's AA build thread or get one from Bob Crites.
4. replace the gasket in the K401 horn.
As a plug and play guy it may be worth your while calling Bob Crites and see if he will re-cap your AK-3 and provide new cables. He used to provide that service.
You should also check the A55 horns -
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/130970-is-it-the-al-3-or-the-squakers/&ct=1586575269

10 hours ago, Alexander said:

Is there a schematic posted somewhere on the board? Would love to look at it.

The AK-4 schematic is in this thread - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/134691-klipschorn-lf-filter/

Schu, your pictures are missing the LF bass trap - two 6 ohm 25W resistors, four 50uf caps and a 6mH inductor - were they on a daughter board, perhaps in the woofer chamber ?

AK-4.jpg

• Like 1