Have Heresy IV, looking for amp suggestions

altec210

24 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Claude , is there such a thing as  a ready made amp using the Hypex NC-400, NC-500

Not speaking for Claude but there are numerous brands using a version of nCore, the 400 series I believe relegated to DIY.
Bel Canto, NAD, are just a couple names using NC. Most develop their own input circuits coming from the NC modules, using the 

NC-1200 series for hi end models. I have and currently using 400 monoblocks for Jubilee and LS. Overall they are hard to beat - small, efficient, cool running, quiet, etc. Check out Audio Science review on the performance graphs on the NC-400 series. One of the most linear, “perfect” amps he has tested. (Audio Science seems very real with no bias). 

• Like 1

Randy - My favorite sound of all speakers was the 210 split cabinets with the EV HR9040A horns. Next was a modified pair of A7s, but the horns could get a little hot that close, depending on the recording. Unmodified La Scalas were nice, but I didn't even have room for a sub to augment the bass. The Heresy IV is the perfect size for my room, and the bass is very fulfilling. These are working in a way that I could not get the Heresy III to. 

I still have an updated Eico HF81 I need to check on and get in the system. I just tried my 5 wall Red Wine Audio deluxe Clari-T, and it is a really good match. All of the volume and detail but still has an organic feel to it. For what I have into it, it's probably the best value amp I have tried.

• Like 2

A buddy of mine who has been through more gear than I care to count or even know about has the Red Wine Clari-T, the one piece he has never sold off. I heard it years ago with either Belles or Corns but no recollection of the sound. Just a small little amp, uses a Tripath chip if memory serves —

• Like 2

Richieb - if the guy you are talking about is Michael Slevin, that's me! I sold the Clari-T I had, but I recently purchased one that needed some new batteries. I can't decide if I like the HK430 or the Clari-T more. You have me thinking about the NC400 amps now.  I shot you an email sometime last week to share my news about the IV pickup, but we never connected. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, altec210 said:

Richieb - if the guy you are talking about is Michael Slevin, that's me! I sold the Clari-T I had, but I recently purchased one that needed some new batteries. I can't decide if I like the HK430 or the Clari-T more. You have me thinking about the NC400 amps now.  I shot you an email sometime last week to share my news about the IV pickup, but we never connected. 

Hey Stranger - you are a sneaky devil. Sorry about the email response, had to change accounts. I’ll send you a PM - 

Altec? You’ve always favored a smaller footprint speaker as I recall ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

Claude , is there such a thing as  a ready made amp using the Hypex NC-400, NC-500

Yes, there's a company in England that makes monoblocs with the NC-500 for a couple of kilobucks. But if you have horns, the Teac should be very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

A buddy of mine who has been through more gear than I care to count or even know about has the Red Wine Clari-T, the one piece he has never sold off. I heard it years ago with either Belles or Corns but no recollection of the sound. Just a small little amp, uses a Tripath chip if memory serves —

I use the Tipath chip amps for speaker testing. A Klipsch Engineer in Indy tested mine a 6 watts per channel. I used to drive my Quarter Pie Bass horns with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richieb said:

Not speaking for Claude but there are numerous brands using a version of nCore, the 400 series I believe relegated to DIY.
Bel Canto, NAD, are just a couple names using NC. Most develop their own input circuits coming from the NC modules, using the 

NC-1200 series for hi end models. I have and currently using 400 monoblocks for Jubilee and LS. Overall they are hard to beat - small, efficient, cool running, quiet, etc. Check out Audio Science review on the performance graphs on the NC-400 series. One of the most linear, “perfect” amps he has tested. (Audio Science seems very real with no bias). 

I built the mono bloc kits with the "hockey pucks" like in the RandyH photo. Easiest kits I ever built. Took an hour flat with careful reading of easy instructions. No soldering required. About $1,600 US including shipping from Europe, but that was about 4 years ago, so IDK about lately. https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nc400-mono-kit-(complete-kit)/24

• Like 2

No affiliation but if you want a high end, finished product check, Hattor or Nord Audio.  I need to win the lottery. I have seriously considered the DIY kits @ClaudeJ1 has. But I’d want 3 and now we are into costs in Canada where you can pick up some good 3 channel amps. I heard the Benchmark amp at @moray james, very nice, but again the sticker price is way up there, esp. for 3 channels worth.  My used Parasound A23 at $650 Cdn does quite well for 2 channels. I’d buy 2 more if/when I get to house in Victoria. They are bigger and do produce some heat but I like them. I have only se n 1 used Benchmark amp and it was about 4.5 times the cost of 1 Parasound. My ears are 65 years old. I’m ok with the lower cost sound, all other things being equal. 

• Like 1

You cut a 210 box in half, slap another plywood side on each box (no vent). So they end up being about 5' high, 18" wide, 44" deep.  I got the idea from an article in Joe's Sound Practices magazine - bought a pair of the cabinets from the author in Minneapolis. I corner loaded them on one end of my 8' X 14' sunroom (french door opening!). Couch was against the back wall. With the right crossover and the HR9040 horns, it was a big, beautiful sound. I ended up selling the cabinets to a guy who had a large workshop - said he annoyed his neighbors in the country playing them at ridiculous levels. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, Randyh said:

100 watts per channel  ----3000$ --   I would take a Bryston anytime ,, and not even flinch 20 years warranty and way more power ---and reliable

I think both are extremely good options. What checks my boxes for the AHB2 are;

1. Balanced circuitry

2. Bridgable

3. Three settings for overall gain

4. Speakon connectors

The two big ones are the adjustable gain and Speakon. 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, Randyh said:

100 watts per channel  ----3000$ --   I would take a Bryston anytime ,, and not even flinch 20 years warranty and way more power ---and reliable

I compared my Benchmark AHB2 to a Spectral 200 watt per channel 65 lbs monster, the AHB2 was easily more powerful with tremendous control weight and impact. There was not a contest in performance with the AHB2 bettering the Spectral in all areas. The Benchmark represents exceptional value in my estimation. I think that you can purchase a Benchmark AHB2 used for the cost of a new Bryston. The AHB2 is very much worth the consideration of all who seek quality in all areas and is made in America.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just know that tube power amplifiers have 40-50 db more noise than the AHB2, so I don't see tubes in your future. LOL.

From having a bunch a long time ago, still have a 300B and an EL-84 amp. Neither gets used. Too colored. 

Got a coupe Class D also. Collecting dust. 

Mainly use diy solid state, which is not help to OP. But if I was planning on pulling out the checkbook or credit card it would be to order an AHB2. From a supplier like Vintage King, B&H Photo, or even Guitar Center that I hope is still around when the sky quits falling. 

• Thanks 1