Jump to content

Finally Audio Heaven


jcmusic
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

2006 are we having fun around here again....watch out they'll lock the thread 😁😜

 

Some of the best amps I ever heard was back in 2006.    Oh wait, they were yours! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, canyonman said:

Well my journey is finally over I have been on this ride starting with this system in 2005, I love the way it sounds as is and will not be changing anything else ever again. My collection of tape decks is complete my TT will never be changed so I am good to go until I can't hear anymore. Does anyone else feel the same???

 

You've probably got more $$ tied up in one of those tape decks that I do my whole system.  Yowza!

 

One thing this "shelter at home" thing does is get me back in touch, not with my gear, but with my music.  I've been pulling out stuff that I've not listened to in years.  Very enjoyable...even through my mighty 4 watt homebrew (OK, somebody else brewed it, but it's still homebrew) amp. 

Amp_EL842.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, whell said:

You've probably got more $$ tied up in one of those tape decks that I do my whole system.  Yowza!

 

One thing this "shelter at home" thing does is get me back in touch, not with my gear, but with my music.  I've been pulling out stuff that I've not listened to in years.  Very enjoyable...even through my mighty 4 watt homebrew (OK, somebody else brewed it, but it's still homebrew) amp. 

Amp_EL842.jpg

Believe it or not you would be surprised at how much money I have in the decks! Only one of them was real expensive the others were just great deals after a lot of looking!!!

Now the tapes that I have are another thing all together!!! They are very pricey!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's up everyone?  Nice to see my old pals posting!

 

Back to the subject at hand...  I haven't made any major changes to my main system in probably a decade or longer.  I honestly can't remember when I bought any of my gear but it has to be at least 10 years since Craig sold me NBS prototype #2.  My room has changed a few times and my Khorns now sit more than 20 ft apart which was a massive improvement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, garymd said:

What's up everyone?  Nice to see my old pals posting!

 

Back to the subject at hand...  I haven't made any major changes to my main system in probably a decade or longer.  I honestly can't remember when I bought any of my gear but it has to be at least 10 years since Craig sold me NBS prototype #2.  My room has changed a few times and my Khorns now sit more than 20 ft apart which was a massive improvement.

Hey Gary,

Good to see you here again too! How are things?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, canyonman said:

Hey Gary,

Good to see you here again too! How are things?

Hey there Jay!

All is well here.  Just hanging around getting older and wiser....older at least (turned 60 last week).  I was working from home 4 days a week before all this began so that part is easy.  Not hanging out with the grand kids has been the toughest adjustment for me.

Stay safe my friend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, garymd said:

Hey there Jay!

All is well here.  Just hanging around getting older and wiser....older at least (turned 60 last week).  I was working from home 4 days a week before all this began so that part is easy.  Not hanging out with the grand kids has been the toughest adjustment for me.

Stay safe my friend.

Hey Gary,

Glad to know all is well, yea that getting old thing I know I turned 62 in January...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, glens said:

 

 

I'm a lover of learning, too.  Never have stopped.  But when it comes to plopping down on the sofa and listening to music or the TV, I've got more than I need for utter enjoyment.

 

Me too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jcmusic, you have some SERIOUS analog gear!  Consider me envious.

 

I have gotten much closer to audio nirvana over the last couple of years.  Going to a digital active crossover (with much help from Chris A) and a dedicated and well-treated room has moved mountains for me.   These two changes elevated my system from "above average" to amongst the very best I have ever heard at any price point.   At this stage, my analog sources are definitely my weak link.  I wish I had some of your pieces in my system.  Maybe someday!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

jcmusic, you have some SERIOUS analog gear!  Consider me envious.

 

I have gotten much closer to audio nirvana over the last couple of years.  Going to a digital active crossover (with much help from Chris A) and a dedicated and well-treated room has moved mountains for me.   These two changes elevated my system from "above average" to amongst the very best I have ever heard at any price point.   At this stage, my analog sources are definitely my weak link.  I wish I had some of your pieces in my system.  Maybe someday!

 

 

Thanks Tarheel TJ,

Yes treating your room and using a DSP will bring your system to a whole different level.. There is no going back, as for the analog sources all you need is one good tape deck. Then I can help you with getting copies of Master tapes like the ones I have. You have never heard anything like a master tape until you hear one, soo much more info in the music it's insane!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:26 AM, jcmusic said:

Agreed, I thought about Jub's as being the next thing but, my room isn't big enough! Hell the Khorns are really to big but I have had them forever and gotten use to the sound quality. I can't go backwards!!!

 

The Jubes Active, trounce the Khorns Passive of any year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, jcmusic said:

Agreed, I thought about Jub's as being the next thing but, my room isn't big enough! Hell the Khorns are really to big but I have had them forever and gotten use to the sound quality. I can't go backwards!!!

 

My room is incredibly small and my Jubilees are the best thing ive ever had in here.....by a long shot. If you can fit them in the room you owe it to yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, jcmusic said:

Thanks Tarheel TJ,

Yes treating your room and using a DSP will bring your system to a whole different level.. There is no going back, as for the analog sources all you need is one good tape deck. Then I can help you with getting copies of Master tapes like the ones I have. You have never heard anything like a master tape until you hear one, soo much more info in the music it's insane!!!

I have heard R2R tapes from The Tape Project before (though not on my own system).  You are right.  They are spectacular!  I would love to get some for myself one day.  At the moment, my only tape deck is a 7" unit, and it is not working 100%.  Even still, commercially-recorded 7.5 IPS tapes can sound quite nice.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I have heard R2R tapes from The Tape Project before (though not on my own system).  You are right.  They are spectacular!  I would love to get some for myself one day.  At the moment, my only tape deck is a 7" unit, and it is not working 100%.  Even still, commercially-recorded 7.5 IPS tapes can sound quite nice.

 

I agree I have some of those 7.5ips tapes and some are pretty good but, not in the same league as a master tape or copy... Get yourself a Otari MX 5050 to start with, they can be had for a reasonable price and sound great once setup correctly.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to say, “Well, the system is complete now.”  After the third time I said that, I resolved not to say it any more.  That was years ago.  Meanwhile, the system continues to evolve.  The main speakers alone have gone through four versions of La Scalas with Jubilee tweeters, and last year I updated the tweeter drivers to the latest K-691s.

 

This year I replaced the 400-watt subwoofer with a pair of 850-watt units, and the performance of the stereo jumped ahead another step.  Now I just say that the system has reached a plateau that I really like.  The current plateau is the best one yet.  Now, when I turn on the stereo, it sounds great, but I no longer think to myself, “It’s great, but...”. It’s just great.

 

Sure, I’m still experimenting with speaker positioning.  At the moment, the main speakers have hardly any toe-in, and the sweet spot is the widest it has ever been.  There’s likely no ultimate speaker position.

 

As well, I’m going to swap the sofas between the sunroom and the living room, to put the most comfortable one where it will be used the most.  It’s bigger and softer, so that will change the acoustics of the room.  That means I’ll have to run ARC Genesis on the subs again, and then run YPAO on the whole system, but that’s fun, so I’m not complaining.

 

Some audio fans are relaxers and some are tweakers, and tweakers vary from the every-other-day, to the once a week, to the once a month types.  If you don’t tweak your system for more than a month, you’re probably a relaxer.  There’s room for all of us, and the knowledge we share is one of the best parts of the hobby, from the actual pieces of hardware, to how to set those pieces, to the pieces of music that will sound great on them.

 

It’s all fun, and I’m glad that you and I are all here on the Forum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...