RP-502S or RP-500M as surround in 5.1 setup

Vinza

In my livingroom 5.1 setup, I have RP600M as left and right and RP500C as center. Currently my surround speakers are small Jamo bookshelf speakers. The surround speakers are behind the sitting area, at about 145 degrees. So not ideal but in our livingroom it is the best I can do...

I would love the change the surrounds for Klipsch Referende Premier speakers. Only thing is that I’m in doubt if I should go for the RP502S or the RP500M, so wide dispertion or directional.

Normally I would go for the 502S, but I’m not sure if this is wise in my 5.1 setup.

All help and thoughts are welcome to help me choose the correct speakers!

A92474F2-8961-4F3E-96B6-0AA9D00F2D57.jpeg

Are you going to be running Atmos in the future?  If so I would go with the 500s, As Direct radiating speakers are recommended when running  atmos..  If you’re going to stick with 5.1 I would go with the 502s As why dispersion is recommended for regular 5.1 usage...

15 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Are you going to be running Atmos in the future?  If so I would go with the 500s, As Direct radiating speakers are recommended when running  atmos..  If you’re going to stick with 5.1 I would go with the 502s As why dispersion is recommended for regular 5.1 usage...

Thanks for your info. Won't be running Atmos any time soon, so the 502S is +1.

11 hours ago, Randyh said:

you need much bigger speakers , 

In the same sence that my car also needs more horsepower.... Yes I agree, but in my livingroom it is not going to hapen that I will have bigger speakers, this has something to do with my wife not accepting bigger speakers than currently. I was lucky enough to be able to do this setup, she wanted Sonos..... so I'm already very happy I got to go with the Klipsch set I currently have. However the surrounds need to be bigger and from Klipsch, so that's why my question is whether to go for RP502S or RP500M as surrounds in my 5.1 setup.

• 1 month later...

502S is more popular for side surrounds.  For rears the 500M is more correct assuming you have enough room.  Some people are right up on the back wall and it's awkward, so they opt for the 502S since it hugs the wall better, the footprint and looks are just cleaner than a rectangular box hanging on the wall next to your head.