Franken-Jubilee??

So I have a set of jbl dual 18" bins that play down into low 20s and up to 1000hz which i currently have paired with jbl 2385a horns.  Would a pair of 402 horns on the jbl lowers work goodcor are front radiating woofers not going to work well with the 402?

On 4/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, Kalifornian said:

Would a pair of 402 horns on the jbl lowers work good or are front radiating woofers not going to work well with the 402?

They will work great.  Look at the KPT-942-B or KPT-942/4-B (THX) for comparison:

KPT-942-Angled.jpg KPT-942-4-Angled-THX_160128_095400.jpg

Dual or quad 15" woofers are not required for home hi-fi use, but they will add authority to the bass output.  If you have single 15" woofer bass bins, those will work, too.  Just a little dialing in for your room is required with DSP.

Chris

I am not sure of the specs on that particular 18 inch JBL woofer, however, that large of a woofer generally produces a good deal of non-linearities at those higher frequencies. That is why they are generally not very good in a two-way (or three-way) system. I won't even bother with the notion of setting the crossover at a region where the polars of the woofer and tweeter are comparable. 

Unless there is something I am missing (with this particular 18inch woofer), I think you are going to run into some problems.

A 15inch woofer(s) or a pair(s)  of 12inch woofers might be a better idea. Again, you need to look at some of the measured specs first before building a prototype. 

Good luck,

-Tom

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

...Are you still comfortable with your recommendation?

Yes.  Here is the spec sheet for the JBL 2241H woofers that are in that "subwoofer" cabinet (which looks a lot more like a bass bin for home hi-fi purposes): 

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-460-jbl-2241h-specifications-44131.pdf

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Any idea on where to crossover in order to make this work?

I'd recommend a crossover at 450-550 Hz.  Should work pretty well.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1