Klipsch 15” subwoofer

Don L

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like it's good for roughly 15A of current?  That seems pretty light for an entire HT.

...15A per socket perhaps (actually 16A per socket), not only 15A for the entire adapter. Here are the exact specs:

Voltage: 250V

Current: 6 x 16A / 6 x 5A

Max Connected load: 3680W

Max total combined surge current: 18 000A - 24 000A

Max total combined surge energy: 500J - 700J

Protection component response time: <25nS

Spec Sheet: http://e-systems.co.za/System/FabSheets/1FBWP5.pdf

I'm pretty sure this strip adapter can handle more than enough load from my home theater, although I don't have everything connected to just one of these. I have one of my subwoofers on a different strip and actually have a total of 3 of these strip adapters for the home theater stuff, but all are on the same circuit from the distribution board. So the more important question I would think is, can the breaker and plug circuit handle the load, and since I've never tripped the breaker, no matter how hard I drive the system, I think the answer is yes, it can, or am I missing something here?

14 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

So the more important question I would think is, can the breaker and plug circuit handle the load,

Ah the crux of the biscuit:)

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

3680W divided by 240 volts is 15.33 amps.  Did I do the math wrong?

No.

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

3680W divided by 240 volts is 15.33 amps.  Did I do the math wrong?

Your math is spot on... it's me that wasn't paying attention. The 16A sockets mentioned in the spec just refers to the type of sockets, and doesn't mean it can handle 6 x 16 amps of current... 🙂

But 3680W max load is more than enough for my setup. My Yamaha A2070 receiver's max power consumption is 1210W and then the only other high powered device on this adapter is a 12 inch Klipsch sub. My new SPL-150 is on a separate strip adapter. 

I think we get a lot more out of 15 amps here in South Africa due to our higher voltage supply, so amperage isn't as limiting for us as it is for you guys. At the end of the day, my entire theater and other entertainment gadgets run off one 15A breaker and I've never tripped it... touch wood... 🙂

Hey All,

I'm having a similar issue as the OP, and am hoping to capture your thoughts.  The model I own is the R-115SW, purchased a few years back.  We recently moved, whereas this issue did not exist in my previous home.  Once moved, the subwoofer operated normally at lower volumes.  The second I get it right volume for movies (same as previous home), it shuts off automatically, and I have to go unplug it, and plug back in to get it to go on.  For full transparency, I lost the OEM power cable in the move, and the new one is three prong (female), with a loose fit.  I ordered a replacement that called out the R-115SW in the listing detail, but it's the same female 3 prong, and a smaller gauge than I recall from OEM...same issue occurs.  I have messed with the frequencies, the phase, the gains across both the receiver and the sub to the same end.  It seems this may likely be a bad amp in the sub, but really looking to figure out how to confirm that prior to spending the $$ on a new one, as I'm likely out of warranty.  

Any help to troubleshoot, or support in getting necessary replacement parts is greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If I ran my HT on one 15A circuit I probably wouldn't get past the movie intro, LOL.

Wow, that's hectic! I always wondered why the pros in the USA recommend running your amps off dedicated 20 amp circuits etc, until I did the simple math and realized that 15 x 120V only gives you 1800W, which heavy amps in a separates system and subwoofers can easily exceed. If I one day upgrade to a pre-pro and separates, I would run a dedicated 20A circuit for good measure, but until then, my current setup is perfectly well served by the 3600W available on the existing circuit and breaker... 🙂

13 hours ago, Gin and Chronic said:

Hey All,

I'm having a similar issue as the OP, and am hoping to capture your thoughts.  The model I own is the R-115SW, purchased a few years back.  We recently moved, whereas this issue did not exist in my previous home.  Once moved, the subwoofer operated normally at lower volumes.  The second I get it right volume for movies (same as previous home), it shuts off automatically, and I have to go unplug it, and plug back in to get it to go on.  For full transparency, I lost the OEM power cable in the move, and the new one is three prong (female), with a loose fit.  I ordered a replacement that called out the R-115SW in the listing detail, but it's the same female 3 prong, and a smaller gauge than I recall from OEM...same issue occurs.  I have messed with the frequencies, the phase, the gains across both the receiver and the sub to the same end.  It seems this may likely be a bad amp in the sub, but really looking to figure out how to confirm that prior to spending the $$ on a new one, as I'm likely out of warranty.  

Any help to troubleshoot, or support in getting necessary replacement parts is greatly appreciated.

I've heard of aftermarket  plugs coming loose at the amp and people putting a couple wraps of electrical tape around the end to tighten things up.  You might try that.

• Like 1

Another owner of the R-115SW... It looks like my amp is acting up (about one yr old) There are no part numbers to replace the amp. Crutchfield will replace with the newer SPL-150. Has Klipsch corrected the amp issues with this newer model?

The R-115 is (was) a fantastic SW. It was backing up my RF-7 III with Emotiva Amps in a decent engineered acoustic listening room. However, I've now realized the RF7s are a bit hollow without the SW...  

Edited by Donato

13 hours ago, Donato said:

Has Klipsch corrected the amp issues with this newer model?

I do believe they have... it's apparently a new amp module entirely from what I've been told. I've only had my SPL-150 for a little over a month, but I haven't heard anyone else complaining about the new SPL's.