KPT Crossover Assistance Needed for Experiment

Tony T

I'm wrapping up a recent experiment. I've already assembled;

KPT-904-LF Cabinets (dual15" bass). These cabinets are currently configured 2-way 

Altec 511B metal horn lens' w/k-55-m drivers

DE-120 Drivers (replacements for k-77-m) 

My situation is obvious. I need a 3-way crossover network. The only thing I can find that is close to what I am doing (within current Klipsch inventory) is the KPT-435-N setup. Needless to say, a totally different mid/high horns and drivers approach. The way I see it, I have a slightly upgraded version of the Khorn with 2-15" woofers instead of one. Add to that the arguably better, DE-120 hf drivers. A bit more brilliance to these old ears.

I plead to the "Crossover Gods" within the magic land of Klipsch to bestow their knowledge upon me. Please forgive me as I do not understand anything more than retrofitting replacement crossovers to my Khorns or Lascala's in years passed, and that's about it folks!  Since I've never learned, I do not comprehend techy stuff very well. The only bad "frequency" I understand is low quality speakers.

Thanks to all, Tony

You're at the most difficult and detailed portion of a speaker's design.  It takes testing, knowledge and trial and error.  Were I you, I'd replace the K-55 with an Altec/Great Plains Audio 902-8*, damp the 511B and lose the tweeter.  I'll give you a design I did for the 902/511B that was pretty flat and pulls it down to 104 dB/w/M and crosses at 1 kHz.  The low pass is for an FH-1 and won't work with your 904-LF.

Peav-tecFinalschematic.jpg.2cd345d5b3a2a5d2807067a317a8bed9.jpg

Peav-tec=Final.jpg

Gosh, I hate to lose the DE 120's as the horn lens' (511b & walnut mahl v1) are already nicely mounted to the plexiglass motorboard on top of the  KPT-904's. I'm truly a fan of 3 way over 2 way. I'm wishing for a 3 way approach.

In addition, I rolled a fresh coat of Duratex over the 904's. I then took the time to have the Altec 511b's powder coated to a nice glittery bronze color. Add to that the walnut lens and I have to admit, everything looks pretty sharp put together. Too late to break things up.

Here's a thread that discusses integrating DSP crossovers (which is what you apparently need for your problem):

If you have specific questions that are not addressed, feel free to PM me.

Chris

On 4/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, Tony T said:

Gosh, I hate to lose the DE 120's as the horn lens' (511b & walnut mahl v1) are already nicely mounted to the plexiglass motorboard on top of the  KPT-904's. I'm truly a fan of 3 way over 2 way. I'm wishing for a 3 way approach.

In addition, I rolled a fresh coat of Duratex over the 904's. I then took the time to have the Altec 511b's powder coated to a nice glittery bronze color. Add to that the walnut lens and I have to admit, everything looks pretty sharp put together. Too late to break things up.

Man, what do we have to do to get you to post some pics of those speakers?!?!

On 4/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, carlthess40 said:

Dave A should be able to tell you a good starting point for the setup with a electronic crossover. I think he used them with his Klipsch horn bass cabs and so on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh No don't ask me I had to seek help to do my system. I know enough to be dangerous with all this. I can tell you on the S-MWM it was the way to go. I have a set of KPT-456's in the shop right now and they sound good enough with a passive cross over that I won't go any further.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:16 AM, Tony T said:

It has since been suggested I obtain an active crossover and play with the settings. I'm not even sure how to begin with that.

If you want the easy approach, buy an ANALOGUE active crossover an a couple of small class D amps

you could get the Sublime Acoustic K231 active crossover, with a few x-over cards - for example, 500Hz and 5KHz - 24 and 12dB each, so you can try both

Big SS amp on the bass, and the small class D on the mid and treble 

You might find out that is all you need!