And now for something completely different

kink56

I found the first presentation difficult to watch for more than a minute at a time, so I sampled through them (about 5 minutes/video).  Each video is 95% empty of Khorn review information: there is perhaps 5 minutes (or less) of Khorn information in those 3+ hours, and much less than that 5 minutes is useful (if any). 

I could try to characterize the video author's style, but that would probably take more effort than the total 3 hours of video are worth, unfortunately.

Can anyone other than Richard Heyser (RIP) give a coherent review of the Khorn?  I haven't seen one yet.  Here is the best review of the Khorn that I've read to date:

https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=36543

It was written in 1986.  I first read it in 2007 when I re-entered the hi-fi world after raising kids, etc. This review is the one that started me down the road to really understanding loudspeaker performance and more importantly the effects time misalignment.  It's a good one.

Chris

• Like 1

I would hardly call the corners “solid” by any stretch even though the closed backs may not be as dependent as past open back bins. These soft corners certainly cannot be a good thing. “Stereopolice” - he should arrest himself. 

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

I found the first presentation difficult to watch for more than a minute at a time,

A minute?  Wow, I admire your ability to listen to such ranting with the camera flailing about.  You must have the patience of a saint.

pa·tience
/ˈpāSHəns/

noun
noun: patience
  1. 1.
    the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

I made it through the first :38 seconds before I decided I had other things to do with my time.  Anything other than watching that vid.

Having owned 4 or 5 pair of khorns, I sure wouldn't have them in a room where they were that close together and crossing that far in front of my seating position.  I did have them positioned as such in one home and his review once he has the right amp and pushes them back into the corners, is pretty much on the money.  But... that is why you take them home and listen to them in your setting before buying.  Spread them out, solid corners, closer listening position so they cross just in front of you and they can do things a lot of other speakers can't.  AK6, haven't heard them, speaking on older khorns but I'm not likely far off.  Too bad for him though he's right, they aren't for everybody and room/system matching is REQUIRED.  You have to take the bad with the good and accept that.

Yeah this guy is so full of folksy patter and irrelevant content. I do not understand anyone watching his entire videos. ALL of his videos seem to be like this.  As far as useful information is concerned, they could easily be distilled down to maybe 10 minutes, 20 minutes maximum.  I wonder if he has anyone to talk to in real life. 

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Jeez, people who make videos should at least have some knowledge in what they are doing.

I would extend that remark to folks that think they can write books and journalism (blog) articles, too.  It seems that the bar has dropped dramatically since YouTube and Amazon self-publishing hit the scene for these type of products. 

It used to be that a book had to not only be correct and informative, but also receivable by the reading community in the subject of interest before a book could be published--because there was real money involved with publishing something.  Same thing for journalism articles: only the biggest news organizations had any reach journalistically, and bad writing never really got past the local rags and school newspapers (if that far).  Quality was high even if you personally didn't agree with the message. Now, the situation has changed and there are no Good Housekeeping Seals of Approval for any of this. 

One really good film that I keep reverting back to for these types of discussions is this:

220px-Side_by_side_2012.jpg

This film consists of interviews with major film directors, directors of photography (DPs), a.k.a. cinematographers, and editors (sound and visual).  One such major director of the action film genre said that the "democratization of film through inexpensive SLR-type cameras (Canon, etc.) has lowered the bar too far...there are no taste-testers".  This comment really bounced when it hit screen in the documentary, but in this case I really do understand what he is talking about. 

YouTube really needs "taste tester filters" that can weed out low quality stuff.  IMO, the videos like those at the top of this thread really aren't worth the time to post.

Chris