Need help with selecting amp for AW-525

DionV

Hi,

I have 2 outdoor speakers (the AW-525) powered with an old kenwood amp. I want to replace this amp because it is very old.

I looked at Sonos amp but don’t need all the extra features. Because I am connecting a chrome cast audio or direct RCA. To pick Sonos for this installation it’s to expensive.

Also I looked at the Yamaha R-S202. Great amp for the price. But I have read a lot of reviews saying that is has not great bass. And because I am (for now) not having a outdoor subwoofer it is not ideally.

My question is:

What amp do I need for these speakers. Later on I will maybe add an outdoor subwoofer sow a sub line out would be great. 

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willland said:

@DionV,

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe step up to the R-N602 or R-N803.

Not sure how much $$$ you want to spend.

Bill

Thank you for your reply,

These are the prices at my country:

R-N602 Zwart 500 euro

R-N803D 700 euro

For that price I could also buy a sonos amp, is there something else that is a little bit cheaper? I don't need any bluetooth, spotify or multiroom. Just an RCA input and if it's possible a sub line out. And I wan't a good quality amp for these speakers.

I'm thinking about a amp without net features but still has treble and base levels. Then it's maybe a bit cheaper?

Thanks

Dion

I looked up that Yamaha you mentioned.  First thing that made an eyebrow raise was "the most trusted brand in home audio" statement...  140 Watts per channel at 10% THD at one frequency only?  What kind of specification is that?  I have never, ever, seen a spec such as that and have absolutely no way to draw any comparison to anything else!

Look up a NAD C 316BEE V2 in your market and see what the price is, would you please?

I have AW 650s running off of zone 2 (Denon AV 2100x) and it's perfect. Wireless control outside, does bluetooth, spotify connect, pandora etc perfectly. It's probably a few model years old but continues to work great. I got it from Accessories For Less some time ago for around $300. I do use it for TV watching as well and you can watch TV and listen to whatever outside at the same time. I'd buy it again just as a dedicated outdoor amp. 

23 minutes ago, DionV said:

For that price I could also buy a sonos amp, is there something else that is a little bit cheaper? I don't need any bluetooth, spotify or multiroom. Just an RCA input and if it's possible a sub line out. And I wan't a good quality amp for these speakers

What about an integrated amp like these?

Yamaha A-S501 or A-S701

Denon PMA-800NE

Bill

5 hours ago, glens said:

I looked up that Yamaha you mentioned.  First thing that made an eyebrow raise was "the most trusted brand in home audio" statement...  140 Watts per channel at 10% THD at one frequency only?  What kind of specification is that?  I have never, ever, seen a spec such as that and have absolutely no way to draw any comparison to anything else!

Look up a NAD C 316BEE V2 in your market and see what the price is, would you please?

That one is 400 euro.But it has only 2 x 40W at 8 ohm. Isn't that to low?

4 hours ago, willland said:

What about an integrated amp like these?

Yamaha A-S501 or A-S701

Denon PMA-800NE

Bill

Thanks for your reply. I think the a-s701 is a bit to much. 

At my country the A-S501 is 350 euro and the PMA-800NE 366 euro. And the Yamaha has a bit more pwer and a sub out. That would be the best option from these two I think

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DionV said:

At my country the A-S501 is 350 euro and the PMA-800NE 366 euro. And the Yamaha has a bit more pwer and a sub out. That would be the best option from these two I think

I think you are right.

Bill

6 hours ago, DionV said:

That one is 400 euro.But it has only 2 x 40W at 8 ohm. Isn't that to low?

I don't know.  As I said there's no way to compare the two on paper.  NAD doesn't use "10% THD" at a single frequency as a benchmark.