Tar from 1971 Klipschorn- How to clean

Hello all

i opened the bass bin of my khorn 1971. I suppose no one ever did that because the gaskets both of the bass bin cover as well as the motor board look melted and created this sort of sticky tar like material. It took a wile just to open the bin as the cover was completely stuck. With a putty knife slowly I achieved to open them.

im replacing the k-33P woofers with the Crites cast ones but I need to clean out that stuff And replace the gaskets. I’m not sure what product to use. Mineral spirit? Gasoline? It’s really messy and sticky!
Any suggestion?

best

AB

50 minutes ago, Alberto Bianchi said:

Hello all

i opened the bass bin of my khorn 1971. I suppose no one ever did that because the gaskets both of the bass bin cover as well as the motor board look melted and created this sort of sticky tar like material. It took a wile just to open the bin as the cover was completely stuck. With a putty knife slowly I achieved to open them.

im replacing the k-33P woofers with the Crites cast ones but I need to clean out that stuff And replace the gaskets. I’m not sure what product to use. Mineral spirit? Gasoline? It’s really messy and sticky!
Any suggestion?

best

AB

Orange (citrus) based cleaner may do the trick. Commercially available but I make my own.

Wb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't just spray down a fine finished wood surface with it, though it might not hurt to do so..  In this case I'd douse a rag and rub it into the tar, then use a plastic putty knife to remove the softened "tar."  In stages.  In any event it's not a "show" surface, right?

Since they are 71s you should check air tightness. My 72s had air leaks I fixed by pouring glue into areas where I heard the leaks. You have to seal the woofer port and then put woofer access door back on except for the one screw that goes into the air chamber. Then put low air pressure in there to hear the leaks The old glue is cracking and leaking air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you arbitrarily changing your drivers or are they blown?

My 1979 LaScalas are still going strong....  hard to wear them out.

If they're working, I'd leave them alone.

Now, as for the goo......  you have a number of ideas above.  I used a putty knife on mine.  My gasket had turned to a sticky mess.... kept drivers, installed new gasket.