My first pair of real Klipsch speakers... KM4! (KG 3.5)

Good Morning Klipschaholics,

Yesterday, I secured my first real pair of Klipsch speakers. I have quintets in my family room as well as set up in 2.1 with a Klipsch sub at my office desk. I have always loved them.

As I got more serious about my mostly vintage listening setup in my house, I went from KLH to Fisher to Polk speakers, and although I liked the Polks, I knew Klipsch was what I was looking for...

I entered the military last year and I am currently back at home on leave. When I learned that Klipsch manufactured a line of speakers specifically for the US Armed Forces serving overseas, I knew I had to have a pair. Recently, a pair of KM 4s popped up for a decent price about 10 minutes away from me - it was the only pair for sale on CL in the entire country. I immediately negotiated a few bucks off and went to go get them.

I am in love - I cannot believe I didn't do this sooner. I will certainly be keeping these forever. I know the KG 3.5 (KM 4 equivalent) are not the most highly regarded Klipsch speaker ever produced, but they are the best speakers I have ever heard in my short lifetime. To think that there are speakers better than this blows my mind...

Setup:

MCS 6710 Turntable. AT71E cartridge.

Pioneer SX-737

Klipsch KM 4

Miller & Kreisel VX7 Mark II Sub (barely have to use this anymore). 

FATUPJoZXbda4ypxGNhXH1_AU_XEKODBEgdYpXfk

Here's to many long listening sessions!

• Like 3

the KG (KM) series are great speakers & very under-appreciated IMO. i have owned the kg3.5 & multiple pairs of the bigger kg5.5's, for the used price they cant be beat & are comparable to the KLF series.  if you ever find the bigger models kg 4.5 or 5.5 they are a huge step up from the kg3.5 as they have the much better tractrix mid/tweet & bigger 10" woofers. ive seen many kg4.5/5.5 for around $250.  

• Like 2

Awesome and congrats.

The KG series are really fun speakers.  I use a pair of KG4s in my basement system (where I've been working for the past four weeks, so lots of time on them)

The KG4s were abused in a past life so I picked them up for $50.  Recapped the crossovers through Parts Express (cheap money), added cheap plastic feet.  They're driven by a Kenwood receiver from the early 2000s I got for free at a yard sale.  The source is an Echo Dot using the audio out from Pandora.

Truth be told, some days it just seems like the KG4 system is more fun than my tube based, dual subwoofer, external mid-fi wtih FLAC files DAC Heresy system.  At 1/40th the cost of the whole system.

• Like 3

@twilliams_007

congrats!

wait until you get home and can lay hands on some Heritage. A couple years back, I bought a pair of R15Ms... entry level stuff. Decided I need more. After watching, waiting, came home with a vintage pair of LaScala. Only "regret" is that when the others talk about improvements going up the line, I have know nothing. Passed all the steps along the way to what I have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the KG (KM) series are great speakers & very under-appreciated IMO. i have owned the kg3.5 & multiple pairs of the bigger kg5.5's, for the used price they cant be beat & are comparable to the KLF series.  if you ever find the bigger models kg 4.5 or 5.5 they are a huge step up from the kg3.5 as they have the much better tractrix mid/tweet & bigger 10" woofers. ive seen many kg4.5/5.5 for around $250.  

I think the only upgrade I would be willing to make in the KG line to these are the KM 6, which cost about 3-4x what I paid for these.

Also - I hear mixed reviews on whether the tractrix horns are actually better or not, but I guess I'd have to hear for myself. These are certainly not dissapointing.

Edited by twilliams_007

4 hours ago, BadChile said:

Awesome and congrats.

The KG series are really fun speakers.  I use a pair of KG4s in my basement system (where I've been working for the past four weeks, so lots of time on them)

The KG4s were abused in a past life so I picked them up for $50.  Recapped the crossovers through Parts Express (cheap money), added cheap plastic feet.  They're driven by a Kenwood receiver from the early 2000s I got for free at a yard sale.  The source is an Echo Dot using the audio out from Pandora.

Truth be told, some days it just seems like the KG4 system is more fun than my tube based, dual subwoofer, external mid-fi wtih FLAC files DAC Heresy system.  At 1/40th the cost of the whole system.

KG4's seem incredibly good FWIW. Like budget Heresys... you can bet if I ever find a set of those for $50 they'll be mine in minutes. That would definitely be a fun second setup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

@twilliams_007

congrats!

wait until you get home and can lay hands on some Heritage. A couple years back, I bought a pair of R15Ms... entry level stuff. Decided I need more. After watching, waiting, came home with a vintage pair of LaScala. Only "regret" is that when the others talk about improvements going up the line, I have know nothing. Passed all the steps along the way to what I have.

Thank you! I am not anywhere close to being able to justify that in my life, as there will be weaker links in my chain right now that I would have to worry about upgrading as well, but one day!

Edited by twilliams_007

2 hours ago, twilliams_007 said:

Thank you! I am not anywhere close to being able to justify that in my life, as there will be weaker links in my chain right now that I would have to worry about upgrading as well, but one day!

Make no mistake, there are deals to be found. If space is a problem, Heresy, Forte, Quartet, are not large speakers. Craiglist is just one source. Second the KG-4...if it fits your thinking. Paid $100. for mine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I have missed two different chances to get Heresy I set for $50 over the last 3 years or so. It can happen. Both were in local Kijiji. Put in an alert and cross your fingers.

Cool ! Sounds good idea.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twilliams_007 said:

I think the only upgrade I would be willing to make in the KG line to these are the KM 6, which cost about 3-4x what I paid for these.

Also - I hear mixed reviews on whether the tractrix horns are actually better or not, but I guess I'd have to hear for myself. These are certainly not dissapointing.

curious where you heard mixed reviews on the tractrix horns?  they are definitely the best horns klipsch has & what klipsch has used on their higher end speakers for decades & even what they went to on current heritage models like the forte 3.   

• Like 2

Conrats. My first Klipsch speakers were the KG 3.5 which I often cited here as the best bang for the buck in audio. They live on with in a system I built for my nephew a  decade ago and are still in active use.

Nice set up 007.  I see you were spinning Zep II.  'Bring It on Home' is one of my favorites on that album, so in honor of you bringing home your "new" Klipsch speakers,  I will play that album today and crank it up really loud on my KG4s - that I bought brand new in 1985.  Those were my first Klipsch, and even with Khorns, Cornwalls, and Heresys in the house, the KG4s are not going anywhere.  Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Randyh said:

Welcome , quite a few Klipscheads served in the military, ----if these were mine , I would add a 2nd woofer 8 inch woofer like a KG-4 , they would sound even better -

https://www.klipsch.ca/products/km-4

https://www.klipsch.ca/products/kg-3-5 better

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 36Hz-20kHz±3dB
SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 65 watts maximum continuous (325 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front-mounted port
DRIVE COMPONENTS: Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) polymer dome compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn and one 8" (20.32cm) ICG cone woofer
TWEETER: K-84-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn
HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1800Hz
WOOFER: K-1002-K 8" (20.32cm) Injected Carbon Graphite cone
DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 33.5" (85.1cm) x 10.5" (26.7cm) x 11.5" (29.2cm)
WEIGHT: 39 lbs. (17.7kg)

FINISHES: Whitewash, Lt. Oak, Med. Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Black Satin veneers, Black vinyl
YEARS BUILT: 1994 - 1997

I will definitely not add a second woofer, then you would have two woofers playing the same frequencies. I have never liked speakers with that design. (Like the KG 5.5)