My first pair of real Klipsch speakers... KM4! (KG 3.5)

6 hours ago, Seadog said:

Nice set up 007.  I see you were spinning Zep II.  'Bring It on Home' is one of my favorites on that album, so in honor of you bringing home your "new" Klipsch speakers,  I will play that album today and crank it up really loud on my KG4s - that I bought brand new in 1985.  Those were my first Klipsch, and even with Khorns, Cornwalls, and Heresys in the house, the KG4s are not going anywhere.  Enjoy!

Thank you! Zep 1 or 2 is usually my test record when I get something new. I'm on the lookout for a pair of KG 4s, they seem awesome!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twilliams_007 said:

I will definitely not add a second woofer, then you would have two woofers playing the same frequencies. I have never liked speakers with that design. (Like the KG 5.5)

curious why you dont like 2 woofers playing the same freq? many klipsch & other brands have a dual woofer or dual mids playing the same freq & they sound great.  the kg 5.5 are awesome speakers & the dual 10's move a lot of air when pushed to higher volumes.  dual woofers will always have better bass than a single & most guys would not be able to telll they are hearing 2 vs 1 woofer.    

& im a huge zeppelin fan, moby dick & bring it on home are awesome songs to play up loud... & in my time of dying is one of the best songs they have with crazy good drums from bonham!  but most zeppelin recordings are pretty crappy for critical listening, especially on the more efficient heritage speakers.  but up loud with chest pounding bass levels that doesnt matter as much!  

17 hours ago, Randyh said:

nope , actually the reason for 2 woofers is to have 1 woofer play lower frequencies while the second plays a higher frequency to aid with the mids -----to make a 2 way a 3 way ---  the crossover is modfied as well , but the changes are very easy to do , and relatively inexpensive -

arent many/most klipsch dual woofer models playing the same freq?  kg5.5, klf, epics, KPT's etc.  if not, i was not aware the x-over split different freq between the 2 woofers.  

9 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

arent many/most klipsch dual woofer models playing the same freq?  kg5.5, klf, epics, KPT's etc.  if not, i was not aware the x-over split different freq between the 2 woofers.  

yes you are correct most wwt Klipsch are two ways but there have been 21/2 way centre channel speakers unfortunately (for stereo use) they have all been wtw layouts.

20 hours ago, Randyh said:

nope , actually the reason for 2 woofers is to have 1 woofer play lower frequencies while the second plays a higher frequency to aid with the mids -----to make a 2 way a 3 way ---  the crossover is modfied as well , but the changes are very easy to do , and relatively inexpensive -

While this is true of some designs, it is not true of all, for example, the KG 5.5 are two, not three ways that play the same freqs through both woofers. 

Edited by twilliams_007

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

curious why you dont like 2 woofers playing the same freq? many klipsch & other brands have a dual woofer or dual mids playing the same freq & they sound great.  the kg 5.5 are awesome speakers & the dual 10's move a lot of air when pushed to higher volumes.  dual woofers will always have better bass than a single & most guys would not be able to telll they are hearing 2 vs 1 woofer.    

& im a huge zeppelin fan, moby dick & bring it on home are awesome songs to play up loud... & in my time of dying is one of the best songs they have with crazy good drums from bonham!  but most zeppelin recordings are pretty crappy for critical listening, especially on the more efficient heritage speakers.  but up loud with chest pounding bass levels that doesnt matter as much!  

I have had multiple sets of speakers designed like that, specifically polk, and I have not liked the sound of them. I also am using these in a fairly small room with a sub so I don't need more bass or volume. I like 2ways with 2speakers, 3ways with 3 speakers, etc. 

zep is unbeatable, IMHO the greatest band ever..

anyway, that's just my opinion, I could easily be wrong and I don't have much to back me up.

3 hours ago, twilliams_007 said:

I like 2ways with 2speakers, 3ways with 3 speakers, etc. 

Yes.  The 2.5 way fixes a problem up towards the crossover area with the tweeter, that's a given.  What I'm not enthralled about is the notion I've got (without looking into it at any depth) that up to and through the region where the "lower-lows-only" woofer gets faded out there willed be new phase anomalies against the unit continuing higher.  Depending at least how it was implemented.

In any event it would require refiguring reactive component values in the low-pass crossover filter if doing a retrofit.  Plus measuring, testing, pushing part values, ...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, glens said:

Yes.  The 2.5 way fixes a problem up towards the crossover area with the tweeter, that's a given.  What I'm not enthralled about is the notion I've got (without looking into it at any depth) that up to and through the region where the "lower-lows-only" woofer gets faded out there willed be new phase anomalies against the unit continuing higher.  Depending at least how it was implemented.

In any event it would require refiguring reactive component values in the low-pass crossover filter if doing a retrofit.  Plus measuring, testing, pushing part values, ...

a 2 1/2 way done properly eliminates the issues of dual woofer interference which is well worth getting rid of and you clean up the mid which is a major bonus.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I’ve had several different Klipsch speakers in my life….when I came across a marketplace add for 2 mint condition kg3.5 and a pioneer elite reference vsx97flagship receiver for 125.00, I snapped them up….i sold the receiver alone for 300. And now how my favorite sounding Klipsch speaker I’ve ever owned….these things are great for bass, mid and high…..the crossover frequency is spot on….i did ponie up and upgrade with crites capacitors and titanium tweeters…..now they rock….and rock they do……I found pairing them with my kg2.5’s in the rear are the sound I drool over…..just for kicks I added my Klipsch R12D sub…..needless to say, it’s amazingly good…….i run them all off a hybrid tube amp…..so I have tube pre and class A/B power section with a sub output…..my Buddy that spent 3 time what I did is now upset…..he heard my system and is now in the process of selling his Zu dirty weekends…..

and is looking for his own set of kg3.5’s……their very sensitive at 94db @1 watt…so very efficient…..and great for , classical, Rock, reggae, etc…..a multipurpose speaker for sure….if you ever come across a set, pick them up…..I’ve heard the kg 4.5’s and 5.5’s but both are way too bassy!…..that’s were the 3.5’s shine…..

• Like 1

The kg3.5’s are so sensitive that when my amp blew, I ran it strictly off my iPad….although not very loud, definitely sounded good until the new amp came in.(about 3 weeks)……..I was very surprised to hear how well it sounded….im surprised I didn’t blow my iPad output…lol

• Like 2

@Joefi1973  I can confirm most from your imppressions about the KG3.5 ( KM 4 ) as I owned them as well , i kept the origin klipsch polymer diafragms and renovated the whole speakers inside as well as outside and after approx 30 years of age it was time to refurbish the x-overs caps & resistors . I´m not saying that this must be done with yours as well , but was neccessary to the pair that I owned. Once I published a thread in the KC , this may inspires you ? 

• Like 2