scott 299b

AnalOg

I agree. This is VERY high for a Scott 299B. If it IS this high, it has to have been restored and with some quality parts as well. Vintage integrateds are getting much more notice now and some guys are jacking up the prices. One of the main culprits is the online shop, that sometimes overcharges for a minimum of work done.

As for parts, I agree with Ryan that the first thing that goes is usually the PS filter caps. On the other hand, I have come to the conclusion that I want to keep most of the other parts stock as long as I can. Many disagree here but I have starting to switch over on this. I used to want to rip all vintag parts out such as coupling caps etc. Now I am far more reserved here (if within spec more or less). He makes a good point about things like the Bias resistors which need to be checked. Also, since the house voltage has changed over the years since the 50s, sometimes a shift here is needed.

It's best to find out everything you can about the amp and experience of the owner as well. In addition, something that was not mentioned is the quality of tubes; if the units is filled with Britain, German, and Dutch tubes, you are going to be paying more of a premium if with plenty of life left.

kh

Jolly trust what Ryan and Mobile said none of these 40 year old units are sound to use in the long run. They are ticking time bombs. Some more than others. Amp like a Scott that use a Selenium rectifier and especially in need of attention. Never pay over $200 for a Vintage intergrated that hasn't been completely rebuilt. Don;t fall for the gone over by a tech like either !!! It means they replaced the absolute minimum to make it work and it will require more !!! I just rebuilt a "gone over by a tech" Amp the guy paid $495 for it and ended up putting another 175.00 in tubes and other stuff to make it work right !!

Craig

I will almost guarantee that amp will go for at the very least $300 and as stated its bone stock with almost all original tubes. 299B's are very rare and go for more than any other Scott integrated. I can also almost guarantee you that the 7189 Telefunken tubes will be weak and need replacement (of which there are only 3 so you will need a matched set) and also the 6BL8's will be toast almost for sure. Its all a gamble !! It will require at the very least $150 worth of work without any new Can Caps and Tubes so whether you should buy it or not is all up to you !

Notice the guys disclaimer

"As with all vintage electronics, it is sold 'as is' - I do know how to check out stereo equipment, and I am upfront about anything that I can determine is wrong, there's just no way I can guarantee that it is 100% up to original specs"

I got burned being to Optimistic telling someone to go ahead and buy one and then out of guilt ended up fixing it for my cost just because I felt bad. So if you buy it and need it rebuilt let me know. I'm just telling you not to expect the thing to just fire up and run forever and really it shouldn't be run at all till its been rebuilt.

222C/D and 299A are a better buy and almost always go for less than $200

Craig

Check this 222C out bet it sells for right around $200 with a wood case !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=800914128&rd=1

here's a nice 299A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=800596746&rd=1

Here's a nice LK-48B which is a kit 222D which is said to be the best Scott 7189 based amp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=800778956&rd=1

Don't get hung up on one amp just try to get one cheap all Scotts sound very similar

I'm just glad you're getting some of the heat now! heh... For a while, those EICOs were going through the ROOF! It was getting hard to deal with people plopping down 400-600 for something that was basically bone stock with no rebuild. I almost dreaded seeing that "Another EICO on ebay" subject! Horror. Funny how it goes in cycles.

The fact is, that ALL of these integrateds when optimized will bring AMAZING sound for the money, easily better than many modern tube amps due to the classic circuits, excellent output iron, and tube rectification (among other things).

BUT, and this is that big BUT... they will ALL take some work eventually, some more than others. I STILL have almost a BONE STOCK EICO in my possession that sounds amazingly good. If reformed and brought up slowly, I think these damn things do amazingly well. Still, you have to go over it to be safe. And the PS caps WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.

But they are very musical. YES, there are more modern amps that are quieter and more refined. Some are more transparent and extended. Better parts are used in others. YET, despite this, there is that magical lush, warmth, while STILL BEING open and alive that is so alluring about this vintage gear.

A GREAT SET amp is on another level in some ways. There truly is nothing quite like a good SET amp used in the right conditions. No PP amp of any kind I have ever heard equals the aspects that make SET so special. Yet the vintage gear is just so damn endearing and is better suited for a wider variety of systems and music.

IT's actually a great time for tube audio again.

kh

Mobile,

What makes the heat even worse on my end is I end up feeling bad and fixing the dang things for next to nothing and I just don't have time or the money to work for free ! But one thing that I do love is emails I get with thanks and I'll put you up if you ever get out my way. Heck I could save a fortune when and if I ever retire by staying with everyone I've rebuilt amps for while traveling the country LOL !!!

Craig

This stuff does go in cycles. I just hate to see anyone from the forum pay more than $200 for one again.

NOS,

Great attitude.

I could pursue many other options for quality power through buying new.

My objective is to find an old amp to update with my son who has a form of dyslexia called dysgraphia.

School is tough for him so we look for fun projects to do together to build self esteem. And enjoy music.

We have refurbed old speakers with new mids, tweeters and crossovers.

It is quite gratifying to share the interest in audio with young people.

Okay I will answer these all together.

Kits from VTV are not worth the cash if you want a part list just let me know and order the parts yourself. Your paying about 25% more for parts that are not all that great.

The 299B and the 299A are almost Identical and is why I say don't bother with a 299B its a collectors amp because it had a short production run compared to the rest. The differences between the 299 A and B are one extra Pot for better Bias adjustment not really that big of a deal and if you want complete bias control thats easier to set its a easy and cheap mod about 20 bucks or so in parts. The output Iron on the 299B is slightly and I mean very slightly better other than these 2 things they are pretty much Identical.

The 222C/D actually have the best output Iron of any Scott 7189 based amp they have more upper and lower extension and also put out more overall wattage then the 299 A/B. The only down side to a 222C is that the phono section used a PEC which is the first integrated part that employs various parts in one package to come up with a RIAA circuit if this part has drifted with age its a harder job to replace it. I myself have never done one but know it can be done. My 222C phono section isn't bad at all but does produce more hi volume hum then my rebuilt 299. If your a CD listener a 222C/D is a sure bet. The 222D is a real complex amp so beginners may want to shy away from it.

Good luck all of you and send me a link to anything you might purchase and I'll do my best to steer you right !! craigostby@comcast.net

Craig

audio flynn,

Your son will rise and bless you in your old age. I admire and respect you for working with him on what he can do instead criticizing him for what he can't do. I was on the wrong end of that kind of deal once, now my family can't seem to understand why I live in the opposite corner of the continent from them. There's a good chance your son will grow out of that deal someday like my little brother did. I've always been considered exceptionally gifted in the hands on, mechanical field but he's a genuine genius, he just couldn't read or write. Unfortunately our family was not particularly benign in this area and he grew up in sort of a private hell. Had he a father like you he probably wouldn't have wasted half his life drinking (suicide on the installment plan)(me too). he's better now but it's been a long tough road for him to overcome the negativity that was dumped on him as a child. Every minute you spend with your son now will be treasured later, even by his children who will find in him what he's now seing in you.

Jeez, maybe I'll apply for a job at Hallmark or something.

Tom

While talking to many people through email questions, I have uncovered a number of people who are doing DIY work with their sons (and daughters too)!

I have gotten a ton of questions from this segment and have REALLY been impressed with this interaction, something needed in this world of computer games and lack of communication or direct interaction. You would be happy to hear how many are doing this, a few even from this forum, believe it or not. I have seen Dads doing everything from building speaker wires and interconnects, to rebuilding tube amps, modifying amps, making speakers from scratch, building equipment racks, sand boxes, etc all with their kid's help with sharing the duties being paramount. It has really been a breath of fresh air as most have reported great success! Just reading your note above reminded me of this. Thought you might like to hear.

kh

My girlfriend's boy isn't too thrilled about tube audio, but his buddy is.

Wow! Are those tubes amps?! They sure sound cool!

He's just amazed by the glowing glass bottles.

It's kinda cool to know that this kid will grow up and say,

Yeah! I remember listening to tubes when I was a kid!

Maybe even get into it.

I would hate to see tube audio just die and fade away forgotten.

I really don't think you will see it die !! I myself have literally dozens of young teenagers that hang out at my house because my daughter is socially gifted at school. They are all exposed to tube amps here and there isn't one of them that doesn't prefer the sound !! They all are trained on how to use my Livingroom setup and almost always Opt to use the Tubes rather than Solid state they even say the bass is better and that is saying something with the music they listen too.

My daughters boyfriend hungout down in my work area while I was doing the Alk Xovers and thought it was the coolest thing he just couldn't wait to hear them !! Tubes will survive !!!

Craig