Anyone Planning on Putting in a Vegetable Garden This Year?

Wolfbane

• Moderators
I planted my garlic last October. Thinking of digging out and establishing a vegetable garden in the back yard this spring. The prior generation all put in Victory Gardens during WWII.

Wb

[mention]dtel [/mention] planted tomatoes, eggplant and a lone strawberry plant. I really would like to plant some cucumbers and green beans, but we don’t have the seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

I really would like to plant some cucumbers and green beans, but we don’t have the seeds.

None to be had? 

Didn't put one out the past two years due to family medical problems. I bought all I needed to eat at the local farmer's market.

Putting out a larger one than I typically do, this year. Usually only tomato and banana peppers. This year, I'm going all in. Bought a 5' tiller for the tractor. Wow, what a difference.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
None to be had? 

Didn't put one out the past two years due to family medical problems. I bought all I needed to eat at the local farmer's market.
Putting out a larger one than I typically do, this year. Usually only tomato and banana peppers. This year, I'm going all in. Bought a 5' tiller for the tractor. Wow, what a difference.  

May have to order online. We have been doing pick up only for groceries, drive thru for meds. Sanitizing everything as it’s unloaded. Really don’t want to go in the local feed store (or any store) and they (feed stores) aren’t doing curb side pick up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

May have to order online.

Might want to act fast. I was there when my mom was trying to place an order over the phone. They had very little left and nothing she wanted. I picked up what she needed while I was getting mine. There are NO deep freezers for sale in any stores near me. Since seeds have a shelf life, I believe that the seed suppliers only produce x amount and they are as ready as the Charmin shelves were. 

If you have trouble with you ordering, let me know and i will buy them here and ship them to you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

I’ve read some reports about farmers struggling right now. It’s possible the “supply chain” could be seriously compromised.

I will refrain from commenting on this in this thread (unless the OP wants to have that a part of this), but if you want to take this topic to the CV19 thread, I think it can be explored. 

• Moderators
I will refrain from commenting on this in this thread (unless the OP wants to have that a part of this), but if you want to take this topic to the CV19 thread, I think it can be explored. 

Done. We will keep the discussion over there unless OP wants to explore it further here.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I never tried growing green beans ----

Very easy to grow!!! They have varieties that require trellising, as well as bush varieties. Of course, the trellis varieties produce many more beans per plant.

• Like 2

Got kale and lettuce in the ground and purple Cherokee tomatoes sprouting indoors. We’ve grown green bean for years and have tons frozen. We grew a green bean variety that grows purple and turns green when cooked. Their easier to find on the vine when purple.

I have a brown thumb, that I know. Can you grow veggies in a raised wooden planter? Seems they are for sale. Plans for DIY? I have an acre of yard (maybe 1/2 or more in the back) but it is all sand and dogs / gophers / varmints. Segregate plants? Again I be stuupid.

Reading the great googlie mooglie searches.

I can grown garlic and herbs easily at my latitude of 51 degrees North and 4,025 feet of elevation. The problem is the short growing season here which does not commence until late May (due to the risk of frost at night). I'm considering focusing on root vegetables like carrots, onions, potatoes, radishes, etc. if I just decide to plant into a ground level garden. If I go with raised beds and ensure that I have a moat filled with water around each row of my plantings I believe I can extend my growing season by a couple of weeks at minimum.

I should have garlic to barter, if this becomes necessary, but I hope things don't come down to that. I will NOT buy food sourced from China and do not knowingly buy anything else from there anymore.

Wb

19 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have a brown thumb, that I know. Can you grow veggies in a raised wooden planter? Seems they are for sale. Plans for DIY? I have an acre of yard (maybe 1/2 or more in the back) but it is all sand and dogs / gophers / varmints. Segregate plants? Again I be stuupid.

Reading the great googlie mooglie searches.

My suggestion is to purchase the 2020 version of the Old Farmers Almanac. It is split into geographic zones and has all kind of information on what, how and when to plant. You should be able to grow almost anything at your elevation given decent soil and varmint control. 

Wb