Anyone Planning on Putting in a Vegetable Garden This Year?

Wolfbane

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

I have a brown thumb, that I know. Can you grow veggies in a raised wooden planter? Seems they are for sale. Plans for DIY? I have an acre of yard (maybe 1/2 or more in the back) but it is all sand and dogs / gophers / varmints. Segregate plants? Again I be stuupid.

Reading the great googlie mooglie searches.

Brown thumb you say...... 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Seeds are germinating as we speak in my grow system.

For years, most of what I have grown was using plants that were started elsewhere and offered at the stores. This year I am trying to start them from seeds. Although I have some rich dirt, I have been planting these in store bought 'seed starter' soil. Compared to dirt, most of what I am seeing looks like it has more saw dust and corncob grindings that real soil. What do you transfer the sprouts to?

• Moderators

My suggestion is to purchase the 2020 version of the Old Farmers Almanac. It is split into geographic zones and has all kind of information on what, how and when to plant. You should be able to grow almost anything at your elevation given decent soil and varmint control. 

Wb

I can not possibly agree more with this advice. I did this one year. Followed the Farmer’s Almanac all the way down to when to plant. No weeds, greatest abundance of crops ever. [mention]USNRET [/mention] I would be happy to help you. Raised beds are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Randyh said:

-how do you know if food comes from China , sometimes , you can't tell one from the other -

My friend who was born in China says never buy Chinese rice because they pilfer it with small stones to cheat on the weight.

JJK

I have been building terraced raised garden beds in my back yard this year, already have seeds sprouting indoors.  Planting cucumbers for salad and pickles, tomatoes for salad and salsa, peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, some sort of lettuce, kale, some herbs, not sure what else.  We will see what the local nursery brings in for tomatoes and more peppers.  So far since we are not shelter in place, we are able to go in and browse.  Fortunately not everything in the garden section is picked over.    The only thing I haven't been able to get my hands on are jars, hopefully someone has them soon.  

We usually only do a few herbs and one tomato plant in pots on our raised deck. I hope we can buy plants this year. @NADman, we are forecast to get 2.5 inches of snow tomorrow, I feel your pain! I sure hope this is the last week of snow, it is very late this year here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Randyh said:

-how do you know if food comes from China , sometimes , you can't tell one from the other -

If it's packaged it is on the label. If it is fruit like apples, pears, oranges, etc.. There are no stickers on them.

I quit buying smoked oysters as soon as I found every can coming from China.

Wb

@USNRET IF I do a garden I'm doing raised beds with these blocks. I don't know if you have ever seen these.  They are readily available out here at Homer D. Poe. In my case I have to line the bottom with hardware cloth of some kind to  keep the burrowing varmints out. Then i will have to devise some kind of chicken wire canopy to keep out other varmints. Even if I grow in pots I would have to cover with something.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, babadono said:

Then i will have to devise some kind of chicken wire canopy to keep out other varmints.

Good idea

We only planted 4 tomatoes, 4 cherry tomatoes and 4 eggplant, not even going to count the one strawberry plant, it was just to keep the oldest grandson happy.

It's not much but just some I got when at the feed store a few weeks ago buying fertilizer and dog food.Wish I would have got more now.

But the other day I went to look at them to see if the tomatoes needed to be tied up and noticed .one each of the tomatoes and 2 of the eggplant were gone, eaten off to the dirt.

I know what got them, deer, one year they ate everything to the ground in one night, I should be taking deer but have never killed one here. It's raised beds about 2 feet high so I doubt it was rabbits because I have never seen one this close to the house, but no shortage of deer. 

The bed is one railroad tie wide and three long, and 3 tall,  about 10 years ago when i built it I filled it with horse manure, as much as could be mounded up without spilling over. It took 2 years before even a weed would grow in it, but since it's been great, never packs and until the last couple years never needed fertilizer, I now put a tiny bit around the plants.

The railroad ties are getting a little rough and needs a couple replaced but it's still holding together as long as i don't bump it with the tractor when cutting. I use pine needles to help keep out the weeds, there free and works pretty well. Easy to see what end has been planted, just noticed it's down to only 2 eggplants now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, MC39693 said:

We usually only do a few herbs and one tomato plant in pots on our raised deck. I hope we can buy plants this year. @NADman, we are forecast to get 2.5 inches of snow tomorrow, I feel your pain! I sure hope this is the last week of snow, it is very late this year here.

I just got in from picking, smashing and shoveling the ice pack that's been residing below my driveway for the last several months and all along the front of the house to the city sewer. I'm all set for tomorrow's blast. ☃️

Wb

• Sad 2

I am lucky, young neighbour who has a leaf blower that actually works great on snow. Just not wet snow. Get the shovels ready. 

I am am wondering if there will be potted plants this year? I hope so. We have a few perennials but we’re going to need some potted annuals too.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I just got in from picking, smashing and shoveling the ice pack that's been residing below my driveway for the last several months and all along the front of the house to the city sewer. I'm all set for tomorrow's blast. ☃️

Wb

I wouldn't know how to act with weather like that, can't imagine it. But it's not hot :emotion-21:

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Randyh said:

pine needles --  eh -  ok

Eh yes, anything that does not have seeds and covers the soil so the sun can not hit it works. It keeps seeds from sprouting = much less weeds, it's what mulch does.

When we did landscaping  20+ years we used ground up pine bark or cypress, it just looked a little better but the same thing.