Heresy IV to replace R-26F on a Marantz SR6012?

thedave

Hi everyone,

First post - I've always had Klipsch and always leaned towards HT, and in that currently in my apartment have a pair of R-26F towers in a 5.1 setup. 

I simply don't watch movies much and listen to music a *lot* and was considering finally getting a pair of Heresys - a long-standing dream of mine - and moving toward a 2-channel setup. 

The question is... Will I be able to enjoy the Heresys on a modern HT receiver? Most setups I've seen are either running on older high-end gear (like 70's Marantz) or very nice tube-amps for a 2-channel specific setup. While I may be able to upgrade great later, the Heresys will eat up any audio budget for at least a year, and I really don't hate the SR6012 at all. 

Any thoughts - even total disbelief - is appreciated. Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

I say, if you're gonna buy the Heresy's, run them with your home theater receiver and your existing subwoofer (assuming you have one in your system), and cross over the Heresy's at the frequency of your choosing. Otherwise, the R26's already play lower than the Heresy's so you might be disappointed if you play the Heresy's "bare". To the Heresy's advantage, they are 3-way so the midrange horn voicing may be an improvement over your existing towers.

I feel all this talk of "what amp to pair my speakers with" is a giant unicorn-chasing money pit. Run what ya' brung and you'll be happy.

I own Heresy's with a subwoofer and I approve this message.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ILI said:

Buy the Heresys  and hook them to your Marantz. Then run Audyssey. Next, trust your ears and start enjoying your setup. 

(You also may want to inform your close neighbours...) 

;¬) 

One of the reasons we live in the building we do is that the walls and ceilings/floors are solid and thick. No thin drywall. We can listen to music well into the night without disturbing the neighbors - although I do keep the sub turned way down. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I say, if you're gonna buy the Heresy's, run them with your home theater receiver and your existing subwoofer (assuming you have one in your system), and cross over the Heresy's at the frequency of your choosing. Otherwise, the R26's already play lower than the Heresy's so you might be disappointed if you play the Heresy's "bare". To the Heresy's advantage, they are 3-way so the midrange horn voicing may be an improvement over your existing towers.

I feel all this talk of "what amp to pair my speakers with" is a giant unicorn-chasing money pit. Run what ya' brung and you'll be happy.

I own Heresy's with a subwoofer and I approve this message.

I do have a sub, but the receiver doesn't use it for 2-channel audio (by default) and I haven't turned it on because of the apartment situation (and the R26s do a fine job of keeping it balanced). I will admit part of the desire for the Heresys is visual (apartment) but I'm hoping they'll fill the room a bit more compared to what feels like a smaller sweet spot on the towers, although that may be more a function of space and setup. 

59 minutes ago, thedave said:

I do have a sub, but the receiver doesn't use it for 2-channel audio (by default) and I haven't turned it on because of the apartment situation (and the R26s do a fine job of keeping it balanced). I will admit part of the desire for the Heresys is visual (apartment) but I'm hoping they'll fill the room a bit more compared to what feels like a smaller sweet spot on the towers, although that may be more a function of space and setup. 

I have a very basic Marantz amp with my Heresy I set, and I also have a cheap Chinese tube amp. It is my experience that the tube amp makes the Heresy speakers shine at low volumes, while the Marantz needs to play the Heresys at higher volume to make them open up. Your amp is more advanced than mine, especially with Audyssey, so it may well be that no tubes are required at all. It is something you'll have to take into account as you live in an apartment block, though. If you like feeling the bass with your stomach (and you don't mind the legal battles with your direct neighbours), you go the sub path.

I'm myself a 2ch purist.  I think my 1972 Heresy set does great in the low frequencies without a sub, but that's a very personal thing. And from what I have read here, the IVs are much better at low frequencies.

If you want a purist sound, I'd unplug all except the Heresy set, and hit the 'Source Direct' button on your Marantz remote and then enjoy them for a couple of weeks like that. It may well be you'll get rid of all that clutter you don't use anymore, and never look back, and have more space to breathe...

One more thing, there are great deals to be found on the Heresy IIIs, which are still great speakers...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ILI said:

If you want a purist sound, I'd unplug all except the Heresy set, and hit the 'Source Direct' button on your Marantz remote and then enjoy them for a couple of weeks like that. It may well be you'll get rid of all that clutter you don't use anymore, and never look back, and have more space to breathe...

One more thing, there are great deals to be found on the Heresy IIIs, which are still great speakers...

Don't think I'm not considering it. I think I may keep my center channel for TV and video, but may remove the surrounds and go 3.1 or even 3.0. I'll miss surround sound once or twice a month, but the part of me that likes to declutter and keep things minimal vastly out-powers the rest of me :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I think there are many considering moving to 3.1 and many already have. Like you we watch fewer movies and those we do (along with TV), sound just fine in 3.1.

Yup. This is where I am.

Hey do you think Klipsch would sell me the lighter grills separately for the walnut cabinets? I know I want the walnut cabinets, and I may like the darker grills, but then I mocked this up, and wow...

g714HRSY4WN-o_other0.jpg