Have you changed?

BigStewMan

4 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Having been involved with critical care stuff very similar to this I am not surprised by its existence but I am stunned witnessing its ferocity. Professionally I knew it could happen but seeing it happen is quite something viscerally different. I do hope that covid survivors provide ample and detailed testimony so that every skeptic can lay their questions to rest. We hide our sick so well that most people cannot grasp serious illness which leads to antivaxxers, et al. For this to be a true ‘game’ changer humanity must recognize its severity so that policies can be placed in proper priority. So for me personally I did not require this event to be wary and cautious. But will others now understand how fragile their existence is? Of that I am skeptical.

It all happened before and it will happen again.

Never underestimate our inability to learn from our own history: The Spanish Flu, the war to end all wars, the Holocaust being just three recent examples.

It seems every couple of generations we screw up something all over again.

Wb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

I actually miss the work; now all charts, spreadsheets and predictions...f'ng boring

remember the days you first joined the military?  As an E2 and E3, i stood duty 1 in 3 ... every third night spent all night at work, about 100 hours a week spent at the “office."

Most fridays were early liberty and being the most junior, i was stuck at the office on “phone watch.”  It sucked and i can’t even tell you how many nights of my life I spent at work instead of home.

The last half of the career made up for it though ... lunch was as long as i wanted it to be, and i was now the one telling someone that they had to stay behind and answer the phones while everyone else went home early.

It did suck having to tell people that they had duty on Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, etc...

Probably that way in the other services ... they work you to death the first few years and then things get a lot easier ... at least they did for me. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Speaking of toilet paper

Are you counting sheets?

The average American uses over 100 single rolls—about 21,000 sheets—each year

It's used not only for bathroom hygiene, but for nose care, wiping up spills, removing makeup, and small bathroom cleaning chores. Manufacturers estimate that an average single roll lasts five days.

No I haven't changed and when this is over I will still be the sorta kinda introvert I have always been.

Got my haircut today. First time outside on her deck. Valerie, the gal that has been cutting my hair for eons is working from home. Or traveling to yours.

Speaking of sheets, my last purchase of TP,  grabbing what they had,  was single ply, which surprised me once I got it home.    One thing of note, is that for the same size roll as two ply, it seems to lasts twice as long.  It is actually quite an impressive discovery.  The roll just keeps going an going.   

4 minutes ago, Shiva said:

One thing of note, is that for the same size roll as two ply, it seems to lasts twice as long.  It is actually quite an impressive discovery.  The roll just keeps going an going.

Yes......I thought I was the only one thinking this

• Like 1

21 hours ago, garyrc said:

In the future, I will probably leave more distance between myself and others.  Social distancing may be here to stay.

“Social distancing” is what I have always referred to as personal space.

I learned to respect it early in life.

At almost six and a half feet tall I have always tried to leave a healthy margin of space around me.

For the safety of others, not me...

There is a very fine line between a personal foul and a dumbass creepin’ close enough to catch an elbow if I turn around sharply.

No need for ANYBODY to be within an arms length of anyone else. 

Lots of people WERE in a big hurry to be next in line.

Almost as if failure to have a plan could somehow be rectified by spastic behaviour.

• Like 1