Back to Horns

Just now, Randyh said:

you need  a bigger woofer

They are 6" too short to use a 15" woofer.  The cabinets originally used 15" woofers, and I had tried Crites replacement K33 woofers.

The dimensions are more in line with the Jensen BLH for a 12" driver. A 15" woofer would give nasty peaks at around 250-300Hz.

Using a 12" driver doesn't have near the peaking issues as a 15" woofer.

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

ok - so the driver in the picture is not a 12 inch  -   what are the specs of that Jensen BLH driver

It is a 12" coaxial. It's not a Jensen driver, however.

It's a CDK (AMK) brand ceiling speaker with a tight cone and high Fs. It's what I have on hand that works best in these cabinets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43636&stc=1&

Here's a pair of Jensen BLH cabinets that are the proper height/dimension for 15" woofers.

Brociner_Fronts_P1010389Medium.jpg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 8:10 PM, mike stehr said:

BLH made from Jensen plans, out of 3/4" Mahogany.

DSCN3271.thumb.JPG.defdd200233ef518b5244d33691a04f9.JPG

Hi, any thoughts on whether it makes sense to build the full height design intended for 15" drivers IF I intend to use 12" drivers ( I have some eminence kappa 12a woofer  clones lying around )

From your thread on another site, I saw that you preferred 12" drivers in your cabs but your cabs are somewhere in between the 12 & 15" designs 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, zobsky said:

Hi, any thoughts on whether it makes sense to build the full height design intended for 15" drivers IF I intend to use 12" drivers ( I have some eminence kappa 12a woofer  clones lying around )

From your thread on another site, I saw that you preferred 12" drivers in your cabs but your cabs are somewhere in between the 12 & 15" designs 

I would stick with the plans for 12" drivers at 27" height...unless you want to eventually build another motorboard for 15" drivers.

My cabinets are more in line for 12" drivers at 30" tall. The full height for 15" drivers is 36.5"...a bit more area than 30".

I have no idea how a 12" driver would work in a Jensen BLH cabinet for 15" drivers...but I do know my cabinets are too small for 15" drivers.

There was bad peaking issues around 300Hz with a 15" driver.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/169755-cabinet.html

• Thanks 1

@mike stehr . Thanks for the info and the awesome diyaudio link .

I actually  have a pair of crites /K33 cast drivers somewhere around here, as well as kappa15c drivers, .. and as luck would have it , also a pair of  the QSC waveguides mentioned in that thread LOL. 

That thread has me considering building the full size units

1 hour ago, zobsky said:

@mike stehr . Thanks for the info and the awesome diyaudio link .

I actually  have a pair of crites /K33 cast drivers somewhere around here, as well as kappa15c drivers, .. and as luck would have it , also a pair of  the QSC waveguides mentioned in that thread LOL. 

That thread has me considering building the full size units

it's a very interesting cab design , not sure , I understood you correctly   ,  would the cab dimensions change   or  strictly the motorboard