Can La Scala II AL5's be Modified/Upgraded?, etc.

Wolfbane

18 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Consider modifications that result in an upgrading to be the question in the above context.

Wb

I think that is precisely the point... is it an 'upgrade'.

you yourself, maybe... for someone else, yes... and even others, definitely NOT.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, Wolfbane said:

I suspect doing so would do in the ten year warranty but: Can La Scala II AL5's be Modified/Upgraded with different Crossovers, Speakers, etc. and is this even required?

Wb

Having never heard them, why would you ask?  (No, it is not required.)  Modding for modding's sake is really a fool's errand. 

• Like 1

The La Scala AL5s are highly developed speakers, incorporating the best of current engineering.  This is different from the case of older speakers, many of which can be usefully updated or upgraded.

The most effective upgrade you could probably do is to upgrade the signal you’re feeding your speakers with.  They should definitely respond to that.  Are your sources, your preamp, your power amp, your cables, all in the same class as your speakers?  They should be at least as good, and if they’re better, well, that’s even better.

BTW, do you have a pair of LS AL5 speakers, or are you asking just in case you get them?  If you do have them, it would make the most sense to just listen to your new speakers.  Notice how the sound improves as they break in, and then see/hear how your favourite music sounds when played through them.  It makes the most sense to listen to your speakers over a period of time, so you can get familiar with their sound, and see if anything about them doesn’t suit you.  Keep in mind that no speakers are perfect, and beyond a certain point, all the speakers are good.  It’s just a matter of choosing the ones that you like best.

Also, do you have a subwoofer or two?  The “portable” size of the La Scalas means that their bass horn is too short to produce deep bass.  Accordingly, a sub (or maybe two) is recommended to use with them for true full-range sound.

Just a few things to think about.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I suspect doing so would do in the ten year warranty but: Can La Scala II AL5's be Modified/Upgraded with different Crossovers, Speakers, etc. and is this even required?

Wb

Why would you want to modify them? If you don’t like them sell them and get something else. My LaScalas are 1973 vintage and bone stock. I wouldn’t dream of changing them in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk