Lecture on Origin of Spanish Flu but so much more

WMcD

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The silver lining to influenza is that it does impart immunity so things like herd immunity and vaccines are pertinent. Bad thing is that immunity is always less in elderly populations. But we’re supposed to die when we get olde anyhow - right?

you are wrong older people are immune to more thins as they have had the time to catch more things over their lives.  For this reason children catch more colds than do adults. It is generally comorbidity conditions which kill the elderly.

Thanks, and interesting that all new flu strains develop from viral mutations from subtype sickness in animal..... 

Currently hitting West Texas areas, some pretty hard, is a disease affecting the deer, Chronic Wasting Disease. It's got ranchers up in arms. I don't know much about it, beyond listening to others. It's suppose to be similar to Mad Cow disease, but they say (CDC) it doesn't affect humans... however, it can spread to other animals, including primates... go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

you are wrong older people are immune to more thins as they have had the time to catch more things over their lives.  For this reason children catch more colds than do adults. It is generally comorbidity conditions which kill the elderly.

Sorry it does not work that way. Look it up. Flu vaccinations are less effective in older populations. In general the immune systems in the elderly are less responsive allowing acute infections to take hold easier, worsen quicker and have greater severity. Insofar as accumulating immunity through a life of exposure.... perhaps to a degree for some diseases. But nobody retains lifelong immunity to Coronaviruses or rhinoviruses. 

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks, and interesting that all new flu strains develop from viral mutations from subtype sickness in animal..... 

Currently hitting West Texas areas, some pretty hard, is a disease affecting the deer, Chronic Wasting Disease. It's got ranchers up in arms. I don't know much about it, beyond listening to others. It's suppose to be similar to Mad Cow disease, but they say (CDC) it doesn't affect humans... however, it can spread to other animals, including primates... go figure.

Have heard a little about this. Alabama had a warning early in

the hunting season about it. Guess this needs more attention now.

35 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Sorry it does not work that way. Look it up. Flu vaccinations are less effective in older populations. In general the immune systems in the elderly are less responsive allowing acute infections to take hold easier, worsen quicker and have greater severity. Insofar as accumulating immunity through a life of exposure.... perhaps to a degree for some diseases. But nobody retains lifelong immunity to Coronaviruses or rhinoviruses. 

In the video a statistic was shared that in the 1918 pandemic, the population in the age range of 20-35 (IIRC; it was young people, anyway) was devastated, compared to the elderly population, which was substantially less affected.  There is an explanation given for that, and I think this is what moray james is talking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

In the video a statistic was shared that in the 1918 pandemic, the population in the age range of 20-35 (IIRC; it was young people, anyway) was devastated, compared to the elderly population, which was substantially less affected.  There is an explanation given for that, and I think this is what moray james is talking about.

Yes......   that age group was more susceptible to that particular contagion. It is not unusual for viruses to impact age groups differently. Covid19 also delivers gender discrimination affecting men more than women. RSV typically hammers pediatrics as does polio. 

10 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Quick question -----can flies transmit the coronavirus --------theoretically

I would wager ‘no’ mostly because house flies do not breech the skin or consume blood. I’d wonder about mosquitoes and biting flies misself. Look it up and share your findings.

6 hours ago, moray james said:

the flu was caught by a Spanish fly and that explains how the flu spread so quickly. As Paul Harvey used to say "and Now you know the rest of the story".

I Miss paul , I would listen every day at lunch . I miss Carson too .

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Randyh said:

The WHO says NO -   but we all know that diseases are transmitted by Mosquito bites and one teenager died in a primitive tribe in the Amazon , yesterday ,   it could be a mosquito -

One virologist I read said that they do not ‘know’ of any mosquito covid19 transmission but does not rule out the possibility. The bug would need to ‘dine’ on a covid19 patient, absorb the virus itself and have the virus deposited in its salivary gland to be available for retransmission to its next human meal. But - until they know for sure it is just speculation.